Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain meds not lasting

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:30 AM in Pain Medications
I have been on oxycodone 15mg IR for several months now and it seems like they work great for the first 2 hours, ok the 3rd and almost no relief from hours 3 to 6. I don’t want to say anything to my PM Dr. because this is much better than no pain relief; and it does seem like it’s too soon to move up in strength. I go tomorrow for my second epidural, but the first didn’t seem to help. Any suggestions?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    is probably good for about 4 hours in most cases. I know the prescription and text will say 1-2 tabs every 6-8 hours. But I know, when I was using Oxycodone for breakthrough, it would last no longer than 4 hours.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I think you should let your doctor know how you're feeling and how the pain is impacting your life. In my experience, I waited until the doctor suggested raising or changing my meds. I do get asked how I'm doing on my meds, and this presents the chance to discuss any problems or side effects.

If the oxycodone isn't lasting as long you should certainly bring this up. Maybe he'll put you on an extended release medication to better cover the pain and stay in your system longer than a IR med. If you have nerve pain, medicines like Neurontin, Lyrica, or Cymbalta will help. You can also boost the effect of the pain meds with taking an NSAID because it targets inflammation. Muscle relaxers will also help you out.

This combo of meds is better than relying on one medication works better because it targets each aspect of this kind of pain. I hope your ESI goes well and brings you relief. Take care
  • I was taking vicoprofin for months and then started to build a tolerance so I talked with my doc and was changed to a longer acting extended release med called MsContin 15mg ER two times per day. The problem I have with this is that it only last around 6hrs and I don't want to use the patch cuz I have sensative skin and the other med similar to mscontin is oxycontin, however my insurance wouldn't approve this one. I just had my 2nd appt with new pain clinic and she increased the frequency of doses. I now (starting today) take 1 tab 3x's day. Doc's are reluctanct to prescribe these meds. I say honesty is the best policy with your doc. I bring my meds to every appt and show them so they can see that I am not abusing them.

I hope my info helped and I pray that you find something to help with your pain. Have you tried injections to help with the pain?
  • when I started to realize my vicodin wasn't working long enough I talked to my doc and he put me on oxycotin er , that was 7 months ago and my current regimen is oxycotin 10 3 times a day and vicodin 3 times in between. As long as your doctor has faith in you and believes you there should not be a problem just be as honest as you can and explain what you are feeling. good luck and hope you can get your meds straightened out .
  • You just need to convey what your meds are doing to your Dr. Let them know that they are not lasting/ working well enough and then they will work with you to make sure it does. Never be afraid to let them know what is or isnt working. The only thing you dont want to do is tell them what they should do. They are the Drs. and know what the plan is for you.