Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In Pain and aggravated!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Hello all, I am new to the site. I fell about 3 months ago and was having some pretty bad back pain. My doctor sent me to physical therapy where they told me my SI joint was uneven on my right side. So they popped it. After that I have been have severe lower back/butt/hip pain that radiates down my leg with numbness, burning, and tingling.I have had injections in my back and hip with no effect. So, my doc ordered a MRI. I was shocked to find out that it didn't show anything. But I remembered that they propped my legs up on like foam and I asked the doc if that could've affected the results. He looked shocked and told me that when my legs were propped up it allieviated the compression on the nerve therefore it didn't show up on MRI. So rather than doing another MRI he has ordered a Nerve Conduction Study. He performed all the physical tests for the L5/S1 joint/sciatica? and all were positive for sciatica.I just feel so mad that I have had to jump through hoops and keep getting let down.How accurate is the NCS. If it is sciatica from the L5/S1 will it show definitely?

• I understanding how frustrating it is to try to grasp everything that is going when you first suffer a back injury. When I have my MRI's done, I can barely stand laying on top of that hard table and I NEED that foam thing. I always feel worse after finishing with that, and my lower back and legs hurt like crazy.

I have chronic back pain and nerve pain in both legs stemming from L4-5 and L5-S1. I've been through 2 surgeries but I ended up with permanent nerve damage in one leg and post op scar tissue on the S1 nerve root. My hope is that I will have surgery to implant a morphine pump to improve my quality of life, because my normal day is laying in bed with an ice pack and I don't go out much anymore.

Anyway, sometimes an MRI can be inconclusive and that's why your doctor decided to order a nerve conduction study to see if the L5-S1 disc is compressing your sciatic nerve.

They can also do a discogram, which is like a pain provocation test where they try to find the pain generating disc. This can find tears in the outer layers of the disc (annulus). You can search discogram on SH for more info.

The NCV can spot sciatica easily and the doctor can tell right after the procedure. There are different conditions that can cause nerve pain like disc herniation, stenosis, a disc bulge pressing on the nerve, degenerative disc disease, and spondylisthesis (slippage).

I hope they figure out what's going on and provide the necessary treatment for you. Take care
  • Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate the info. I can't imagine being in your shoes. I hope you can find some relief soon. and I hope I do too. When you first experienced the pain, did you almost feel like it could be psychosomatic? I've waited a long time trying to figure out whats wrong and sometimes I think "am I just imagining or somehow making myself feel like this?" Although I know the pain is real, sometimes all your able to do is think when your stuck on your back..lol