Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Barbie the Newbie

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello Everyone!
I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Barbie!
Last August ... that's over 8 months ago ... I did "something" to my back ... I think!
Possibility 1: I fell on our driveway while chasing our no-good cat who had snuck out of the house. We were about to leave on our first vacation in years ... 3 days in the mountains with my brother's family. Anyway, the cat got out and we couldn't leave until she was back inside the house. So, I slipped on the driveway and fell hard on my left hip. I think I was more embarrassed than hurt at the time. My husband and I had put on quite a spectacle chasing down that hussy feline! When I fell, I remember jumping right back up and continuing the chase. The next day I had a large bruise on my hip, and my hip/butt was a little sore to the touch. Otherwise ... NO BIGGIE!
Possibility 2: In September, my son and his family asked to move in with us. Of course we were thrilled. The only problem was that We ... actually I (me) ... would have to clear out 3 rooms PACKED nearly to the ceiling with furniture, boxes and tons of "stuff". I can remember contorting my body over and around chest-high piles with my arms full of something or other. I have the vague memory of thinking to myself "Oh ... now that wasn't good" after a twinge or pain in my back or my leg. As with the cat chase ... I just kept going with what I had to do. We moved load after load to a storage unit we had rented. We were nearly ready for the kids to move in when my daughter-in-law CHANGED HER MIND! They never moved in! Can you believe it?
Anyway, by October I was having significant pain in my left buttocks and down my left leg. It felt like a charley-horse or cramp, but my muscles didn't seem to be involved. Neither did my tendons or ligaments.
Finally I went to my family physician who prescribed some pain medication and a muscle relaxer. The pain got worse ... much worse ... excruciating!! I've now been through 2 rounds of Medrol and just last Monday I received my second cortisone injection.
I have had it! I want my life back! I want the surgery ... Fusion Surgery ... specifically AxiaLIF surgery.
I was hoping that some of you might have some opinions or advice on the subject.
I've had an X-ray and a MRI which showed a herniated disk. I was literally delirious with pain when they actualluy read me the report over the phone, so I didn't really hear it ... if you know what I mean.
Apparently the report must have said that the bad disk was the L1S because that is where the spine doctor said he was giving me my first cortisone shot. When that didn't help my pain, he gave me an MRG (I think) that pinpointed the pinched nerve at L5. So that's where the second cortisone injection went. It's been 3 days and I'm on my way back to the excruciating pain again.
It's taken me almost 2 hours to write this post because I CANNOT SIT in a chair for more than a couple minutes without having to go lie down flat on my back until the pain subsides enough to return to the computer.
I'd love to hear from anybody who might have a response. HOWEVER, I may not be able to reply back tonight. I can't stand the pain any longer. I have to go lie down. Sorry for the messy grammar, spelling, etc.

• Hello Barbie,

Welcome to Spine Health! I read you sometimes sad sometimes funny story, and trust me, on this site many people can relate to your pain. You mentioned possible fusion surgery, did your doctor suggest it? As you know, surgery is usually the last resource, after trying everything else first. Don't misunderstand me, I had fusion surgery myself and am happy with the outcome, but I only had it when there were no more options left for me. Maybe the injection will work and you'll find some relief from your pain. I know, that when you are in pain, you just want something to be done that helps. But before you and your doctor decide to do surgery exhaust all other possibilities, and be very sure that this is what you both think is best for you.

Best wishes,

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are in such pain. ~X( good luck with your injections.. =D> there are some good long acting pain medications you might want to try. talk to your doctor about it.. :-C good luck and i hope you feel better soon. :D Jenny :)