Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm tired of this

kimmeamkkimmeam Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Depression and Coping
I am so tired of hurting! It's been 9 months now since my ACDF c 5/6. I have felt worse than before surgery this whole time. I just saw a new NS. He told me that he would not do another surgery now. I had a CT scan to check for fusion. I will see him next week for the results.

My medicine has been changed. I am now on oxycontin 15mg 2xper day & percocet 5-325 4 x per day. This doesn't work. I was taking the oxycontin 10mg twice a day & the perc. 5-325 2 every 4 hours. This new schedule is unbearable & honestly I have taken 2 rather than 1 perc a few times now. I left a message for the Dr. asst. on Monday. Still no return call. I guess they don't want me to take more.

I am tired of living like this. I wake up take my pills & lie on my heating pad until the pills kick in. Then get ready & work 8 - 9 hours. Come home & spend the night in my recliner with my heating pad.

Will I ever get better?! I am sorry, I guess I am more down than normal tonite. I have been more & more emotional & sad & upset lately & I don't like it.

• Even though I didn't have a neck surgery, I know what you mean about being in pain and having to work also. I did that for 5 months.

I hope that your new NS can provide you pain relief. Good luck!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    After 9 months post op from an ACDF Surgery, you should not be having this current pain. Did you ever feel better after your surgery, or have you been dealing with pain all along?

Many times, after Lumbar or Cervical surgery, in order to manage your pain, you need more than Pain medications.

I always tell members about The Blend

When I had my two different ACDFs, I was no longer experiencing the original cervical pain about 5 months after surgery.

Taking Oxycontin ER at this point after your surgery just doesnt seem right. Thats the only reason I said is there something else going on? Hopefully some of this will be cleared up when you meet with the doctor
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I wish I had some real words of wisdom. I can say if your NS is managing your pain it may time to seek help from a PM. Not that, that is any promise of improvement.

I agree with Ron even though I have not had spinal surgery such as that. it seems that you are experiencing more pain than usual at this point. If your NS offers no enlightenment on what is going on when you return I would definitely be seeking more opinions and a PM or PM change. You should not need to suffer like this while you are seeking your answers.

I have to say that while I can mention these things. In my experience it was harder to get proper care then it should be, for anyone.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • I posted earlier regarding my appt. today. I have a solid fusion, no surgery options. Unfortuneatly I was diagnosed with failed surgery. Permanent nerve damage in my arm, fingers & leg.

I just don't know what to do. How do I keep going on? How do I keep working like this? As it is I can barely make it the short hours I am there now. I can not accept this will be my life. I am just 43 & have always had a very active lifestyle. I can't just sit on my heating pad taking pain pills forever. There has to be something else.

I try my best not to complain or whine to my family. It just upsets them that I had to have this surgery to only turn out worse. They don't understand anymore than I do & get very upset. I am upset enough on my own so I keep quiet for the most part.

Any suggestions? I will be calling another surgeon yet for another opinion. What if it's the same?

Thanks for all of your support it does mean a lot to me.
  • You can either seek out other surgeons for any possible options, or move to PM.

There may be something that a pain pump, an SCS or another surgeon can or will offer.

All we can do is keep trying to find an answer that may help us.
  • I agree with Wrambler. Keep looking for other options. An SCS may help the nerve pain. And I certainly agree that a pain pump is a possibility. My younger sister has a pain pump and although she is not as active as she would like to be, she at least has a sense of normalcy in her life. Keep trying and dont give up.

• I also agree with everyone that perhaps you should look for an integrative pain mgt clinic where they offer many types of treatments like medication, spinal injections, and even SCS or morphine pumps.

I understand how you feel because neither of my surgeries relieved my pain, and I have to deal with chronic pain, scar tissue, and permanent nerve damage in one leg. It's frustrating for all- my family is sad because I don't feel any better. It's not easy to be in this pain all the time. I spend my days at home in bed with my faithful icepack while surfing the internet to distract myself. I hardly drive too, so you can imagine how boring this lifestyle is.

Anyway, try to stay strong and optimistic that something out there will help you with your pain. Remember, it's not over yet, and we're here for you. There's no need to suffer alone in this. Take care >:D<
  • Boy can I tell you - I know exactly how you feel! I too thought "I am only forty-something. Don't TELL me this is all there is?!"

I've been going through pain management for a few years now and we have decided to try a spinal cord stimulator. Have you heard of this? If not, go to the search engine at the top of the page and type in SCS. See what comes up. There are several people here who have had it and say it's the best thing since sliced bread. I also have to say there are a few who say it's as bad as saran wrap (I can't ever get that stuff to stick to anything but itself!).

My mother has spine issues as well. She is scheduled for a morphine pump June 22. She is looking forward to this. We both are. She had a great response to the trial.

I've heard those who have had either the SCS or pain pump that they have been able to reduce their medication and pain a good bit.

So, my point is that even though surgery is not an option, you still have options. Speak with your doctor when you see him/her next.

I wish you success in your quest! Don't give up. Don't give in!!

• I agree with all the postings that you should keep looking for alternatives to relieve your pain. I, like meydey321, spent my days sitting on an ice pack surfing the net, sick and tired of being in pain and wondering if I'll ever get some sort of life back.

I give you kudos for making it to work -- how do you do it on those meds?!

Anyway, just wanted to give you some support and tell you you're not alone -- we're all fighting to get better and get out of pain. Don't give up -- we must all persevere!
  • I went to see the Dr. today who has been treating me since my surgeon left.
    As usual he asks me how I am. I now tell him that I don't think that my meds are working as they should. He now tells me to begin tapering off. I am to take 4 oxycodone per day for this first week then 1 less per day until none. He gave me cymbalta & something for withdrawl symptoms & a note for work saying that I can't for at least the next 2 weeks. I see him next week for another follow up.
    I am so discouraged! I can not not be at work for the next week or so. That is just not possible. Why take me off the meds? So that he can get a new baseline of my pain. He truly believes that all I will need is cymbalta to manage my pain. We will discuss a pian management dr. in the future. He is quite concerned that I will hurt myself. Only I think because I told him how horrible I feel & I feel so lost. All I want is to be able to have some form of life beyond my office & recliner.
    I don't really know what to do. As soon as I can quit crying I will call my PCP & see what she has to say. Of course I will have to make an appointment. So who knows
  • I'm sorry that you're going through such frustration. Is the doctor who's weaning you off the oxycontin and oxycodone a PCP? Did you mean that he could be sending you to a pain mgt? If he plans on sending you, it's not necessary to wean you off anything.

I've taken Cymbalta for several months and it is for nerve pain, but it also helps with depression. I'm guessing that your doctor thinks you're very depressed and wants to see if this will help. I pray that things work out and that you will overcome these obstacles. Maybe you should get a second opinion to see what could be causing your pain. When was the last time you had an MRI?

All I can say to you is to stay strong and keep fighting; someone has to listen to you and pay attention to the symptoms you're having. I hope the cymbalta will help you feel better too, it don't hurt to give it a try. Hang in there and take good care of yourself >:D<