Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Poll: What do you do when you can't sleep because of the pain?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
Well, I'm up at 2:35 am, unable to sleep. Partly because of the pain and partly because of this stupid morphine itch. But I am so tired and want to sleep!!!!

It got me wondering..what do you all do when you can't sleep because you're in pain? Watch tv? Come here on the computer? Read? Eat??

Sleepy Danimal

• First I try a warm shower or bath, a glass of warm milk(warming it does something to it that works) or decaffinated tea. Then resort to the computer, to see who else is up! Then play cribbage online for an hr or two. My problem is usually the opposite tho, When I get home from work and can take my pain pills, I'm finally in a lot less pain, and don't want to waste time sleeping! Good luck to you. Is your stim working well?

• :) Hiya, I get that itch sometimes when i have taken extra pain killers ~X( i do take a antistomine, they help #:S .I am awake every night about 4 times a night ~X( , i sometimes make a hot chocolate :D , that sometimes helps, i put the tv on then just lay there watching tv until i eventually drop back off (|: . Try not to eat that late :T , i know everyone is different, but the last thing you need i tummy ache too :& .

Angie x :H
  • Good question!
    There are some nights when I am wired to stay awake, and nothing I do makes much difference.
    A couple of muscle relaxers will usually help a bit, but by then it's early morning and I'm desperate.
    Strangely, I don't seem to suffer the next day from sleeplessness. It's just so annoying lying there hour after hour. Turn to left, lie on back, turn to right, lie on back-change every few minutes.
    I have headphones for music but soon get tired of that.
    Tried hot milk with a bit of chocolate and that seemed to make it worse. Probably the sugar.
    I don't get up as I don't want to create a disturbance, so just lie there for hours.
    Most nights it's OK, though I still wake up a lot-probably every half hour or more.
    When I can sense a bad night coming, and I feel a bit hyper, I take a muscle relaxant about 2 hours ahead of retiring, to start me settling down, and then another piece of one at bed time. Will then take more small pieces as needed.
    I also take a variety of pain meds which help.
    Strangely, I can now take Tramal at night, whereas as before it kept me a wake.
    I'm also doing some daily exercises which should help as well.
    Every night is a challenge though and I dread it a bit.
  • come down stairs .take some pain killers have a cup of tea .put my acticare {TENS} on and get comfy on my recliner .i normaly fall asleep after an hour or so.i used to lay in my bed getting upset that i was in pain and awake and i ended up having a lousy night ..but now as soon as i wake {in pain] i come down ..its not worth fighting it ..go with the flow..if you are up i am normaly on the laptop at around 3am ish so see if i am on and we can have a chat .i am on face book .i am the Anthony beer stood next to my wife {she is a red head] ..hope this has been a help
  • When i can't sleep.....which is often, I may watch movies or play word games on my pooter. I love it that I can watch movies instantally on my comp. I also read IF the pain will let me concentrate. I have a pill that I can take but I do not take it often. I take enough pills as it is.
    I live alone so I can do anything I want and do not have to worry about keeping others awake. Living alone can be a plus when you are in chronic pain. When i am having a bad day I do not have to put on a happy face for others which is what I would do. I would also lay in bed wide awake so as not to bother anyone else.
    I hope everyone is having a better day and your day is pain free as possible.
    Sending a hug to everyone... >:D<
    Patsy W

• I definitely think that finding yourself a comfortable place to relax/lay/recline may offer some help. I usually take some pain meds, find a comfy spot to relax, and maybe flip on the TV for some distraction. An antihistamine sometimes help if I've got some itching (though that usually isn't a problem for me). I have issues with sleep that are separate from my pain (sleep onset insomnia and noctournal limb movement), so I have an Ambien prescription I use a few times a week.

Just a tidbit of info, if you ever get prescribed Ambien, be careful because while I haven't found it to be an addictive medicine you do build up a rather quick tolerance if it's taken every day(as doctors usually prescribe it). And if you've been taking it regularly for weeks and try to just NOT take it, you'll have some very unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. So, using it only 3 perhaps 4 times a week or so is the best way to go. But that's only if you do end up having a sleep med prescribed. It's a good medication, just a little touchy.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    It is pretty common among members with chronic pain and the troubles they have sleeping.
    Getting a good night and a full night (6-8 hours) is a luxury that not many of us get to see that often.
    I try to make a point of being in a routine, so that when I get ready for bed, after my nightly medications, I set up my IPOD so that I can listen to various music through out the night.
    But like so many others here, falling asleep and staying asleep is really hard to do.
    For the past year or so, I would be waking up several times a night with pain, tingling, etc. My options would be to go into the TV room and wait it out, or take some breakthrough medication, which helped me get back to sleep.
    Some of my discussions with my doctor resulted in trying to use Neurotin and Cymbalta instead of the breakthrough.
    That works about 75% of the time.
    But the nights I am wide awake:
    - log on to Spine-Health
    - Watch movies
    When that doesnt work and many times it hasnt, I just wait until morning and hopefully I can make it through the day without falling asleep.
    Its really strange that us Spiney's with Chronic Pain look at sleep so much differently from others. To us, sleeping is like a gift.... We get a few hours in which we are not feeling the pain
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I can't sleep at all if the pain is unbearable and I pace the house and ice my neck. If I'm up before 2am I will take a tylenol pm. Otherwise, I will make a pot of coffee and go online. I'm greatful that I have a computer and internet. It's a great source of entertainment.
  • When I am unable to sleep I listen to sports radio, read, sometimes eat, walk around the apartment, play computer games, go onto the internet and research things, come onto SH, watch TV, listen to music, that's all I can think of at this moment.

This discussion has been closed.