Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not sure whether to go through with Discectomy L4/L5

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everyone

Just wanted some advice really and to see if anyone is in the same situation. I have a discectomy booked for next week and I am in two minds whether to go through with it. Last july i had my first child and 8 weeks later my problems started again far worse than I've ever experienced. I was hospitalised twice, spent four months housebound and on high doses of painkillers. Very recently I have been able to get out and about and I am starting to enjoy life again and my little boy. The pain is still there and im very aware that it could go again at any minute but its not a fraction of how painfull it was and I am able to walk again. Im worried that surgery will set me back and the thought of not being able to pick up my son for 6 weeks is going to kill me. Im so confused......Would i be mad not to go through with it? Also another question that springs to mind is falling pregnant again after surgery. I do eventually want a sibling for my little boy and how would by back cope with that if I have the op?


  • Hi there:

    Have you had a discectomy before? I've had two and neither really helped. If I had the chance to do it again..I probably wouldn't have had the second one but I would have had the first simply to see if it would help. (my first was on l4-5..second was on l3-4).

    What does your surgeon say? Is he or she confident that it will help you? Or is it a "not sure" kind of thing?

    If you are having mixed feelings right now..there's nothing wrong with canceling it with the thought that you may re-schedule. You don't have to decide for sure at this exact moment. You could always take the summer to see how you feel and then decide whether you want to do it in the fall.

    I'm sorry you are dealing with this!

    How was your pregnancy? I'm thinking about ttc soon and I know it's going to be difficult.

Sign In or Register to comment.