Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery over

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Well I had surgery Monday! Wow nothing that I expected. Swallowing hurts and moving hurts just as bad. The NS stated that he really had to jack c6-c7 back up and he had to grind seeral bone spurs off. How long is this pain going to last? I am glad it is over. I am taking Sonoma for muscle relaxers and oxycodone for pain. I have been putting heat on the back of the neck. Thanks for any relief that you can suggest. Namaste lisa

• I'm glad you're home and on the road to recovery. Are you in a neck brace - Miami J or soft collar?

You are still so soon out from surgery, that you can expect some pretty strong pain. The only thing I can suggest is to take all your meds AS PRESCRIBED to stay ahead of the pain. If it gets ahead of you, it's very hard to get it back under control.

Also, just try to relax and not do too much. You've just had major spine surgery and your body needs to heal. If you have a recliner, take advantage of it. I was in mine for about two weeks. In fact, nobody was allowed to sit in it for my first two months because it was mine, all mine.

Anyway, I hope you get to feeling better. Ice cream and popsicles feel really, really good on a sore throat. My soar throat didn't last too long, so I hope yours gets better soon.

Welcome home and take care of yourself. Here's to a speedy recovery!
  • I hope it's not too long before you feel better. I wish you all the best for your recovery even though other than heat or popsicles for your sore throat or gargling with wark salt water with one teaspoon in a glass to gargle and spit but keep your neck upright even to brush your teeth. An emesis basin is always better so you don't have to bend over the sink. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am not in a neck brace at all. I have a list of "cant dos" a mile long. I take my meds and fall asleep soon after. Swallowing and moving my neck even the least bit causes a great deal of pain. Oh well I am taking it easy and doing as I am told. I will keep you posted. Thanks, I will stay put and behave. Namaste lisa lee
  • Thanks for the get well wish! I am staying down on the recliner and taking my meds. Husband is not letting me get to far away from him. I am just ready for the pain to go away! Namaste lisalee
  • It is good to hear you are home and surgery is over. These first few days will be pretty uncomfortable, so please do just take it easy. It sounds as if you have a supportive husband--that is rare and wonderful! let him pamper you for a while.

I don't understand why some docs prescribe collars and others don't. I can't imagine recovering without one because mine was such a comfort, felt much better with it on than off, at least for a few weeks. Be sure to lean your head back and rest it often.

Remember that it is normal to have this pain, and hopefully as the weeks go by you will gradually get back to normal. Good luck!

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Do you a front or back incision? I'm glad you are home, and I agree with everyone else, the pain is pretty bad for a few days. Mine lessened a lot by the time a week was over. Ice might help numb the pain better than heat. Just a thought. My throat was sore for quite awhile. Soft foods much easier to swallow. Be good and follow your directions. No heavy lifting! I didn't have a collar either.

Take care, and heal fast.
  • Get lots of rest, take your pain meds & feel better soon :)))