Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sleeping meds

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Medications
Ive been taking Lunesta 3mg at night for sleep for about a year now. It works getting me to sleep but I usually wake up within 2 hours and cant get back to sleep. I dont take it every night, usually when I need to be somewhere the next day. I also have tried melatonin. Im going to my monthly PM appointment on May 27th. Any suggestions for a different sleep med?

• I take regular Ambien and it works well for me as long as I do not have to get up too early the next day.

If I have a need to get up I take half a 10mg tab.
    Note: a lot of people only ever take 5mg, that dose does not work as well for me.

If you have not tried Ambien you may want to before getting/trying the CR version. Especially if your insurance coverage is not great. Ambien is availble as a generic, making it pretty inexpensive.
  • It works for me but please be aware of the potential side effects. Ambien CR is a controlled release for those who need help falling and staying asleep.
  • Have side effects, usually the first one listed is drowzyness! The biggy was people who work overtime were taking them when they got in the car to go home. They thought that they were safe as they only have a 30minute drive home. Well, the med kicked in and they then would sleep drive for miles out of their way. Sometimes they even slept drove right home carried out converstations and went to bed! They remember none of this!

I am very careful to let my wife know I have taken Ambien, do not let me leave now dear! Do not expect me to remember full conversations, etc,
  • I take oxazepam 15-30 mg at night usually the 30 mg does me in and I can sleep atleast 8 hours but sometimes I sleep 12 hours. It may be the mix of meds with the MS Contin that makes me sleep so long. I don't work and I find sleep so refreshing as I'm not in pain. I hope your Dr. finds the right med for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Is another I have been on before. I wanted to mention it as it has a limited time to work, very strange.

You need to take it and go straight to bed. It will only work for about a half hour window. Once you get past that nothing. It worked good for me and I slept all night. Don't let anyone keep you awake after you take it !