Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do you manage

patwhite101ppatwhite101 Posts: 1,213
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
I have been going through a really rough patch since they pulled the wires on my SCS trial. Is this normal for everyone who is waiting for the permanent implant?
I am having problems preparing even the most simple meal for myself because all my pain is in my feet and legs. Walking or standing is pure he*^!!
I am wondering if the rest of you have the same problem preparing meals for yourself or your family.
All I can manage is a boneless chicken breast or some fish that I season and pop in the oven. That is my one meal for the day. I know I am not eating right and I am fed up with microwave meals. I have ate so much of them that I want to barf.
I do have a girl that comes in once a week to clean and run errands but all my day to day care is up to me alone.
How do the rest of you manage?
Sending a hug to all my friends in pain.. >:D<
Patsy W

• I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. I can't relate, as I don't have that problem. Just a suggestion though, maybe crockpot meals? You can sit to cut the potatoes, onions and carrots then put all of that in with a chicken or a beef or pork roast and that's about it. It also makes great leftovers. And to add to that, maybe the girl that runs errands can get you some packages of pre-made salads. Some even come with salad dressing.

Anyway, just want to send you gentle hugs. When do you get the permanent implant?

Take care.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    My trial implant worked great! But when they put the the permanent one in. They couldn't get the stimulation where I needed it. They tried and tried. They said they had never seen anyone "wired" like me. So I gave up. I don't understand why it worked so well in the trial. Maybe the surgeon got the wires in wrong, I don't know but I was and am done. It's all in my signature line. Or novel If You wish. (I'm not good with computers) and I did't like answering the same questions over and over. And I don't know of a better way to do it.
    But I wanted to reply to you. I love your posts and love your attitude!
    I have the same problems with my legs and feet as you. If I stand, or do any kind of slow walking, (like shopping) I'm toast for the rest of the day and in savage pain. Yes not severe, but savage! And with the trial I could get away with standing or slow walking.
    I'm sure it will work for you. I'm a one of a kind mistake and God trough that mold away!
    So Patsy, hang in there, and when you get the permanent stim. put in you. You will find the relief that you deserve.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • You always reply to me with so much kindness I want to say that I hope you feel better soon. I had a pretty rough patch between my SCS trial and permanent placement too. Ironically the pain is being very "good" now that I have the permanent version! I have no idea why? maybe the placement of the lead moved something? Who knows?

I exist on other peoples kindness, my wife, take out food, etc, for my main meal anyway.

breakfast and lunch often consist of toast, microwaved soup or leftovers. I don't cook anymore. I hope once I heal up and my restrictions are removed I will be able to regain some things I have misplaced, joy, happiness, etc,
  • I understand how you feel and know how hard it is to find meals you can cook easily and quickly. It's so hard! I hope you get that scs soon so you'll feel better!

I'm still dealing with the pain, mine goes from rear to front of groin area and down my legs....the leg pain can kill you when trying to do things in the kitchen. I'm always trying to cook something easy and quick, shorts cuts! I cook a lot of chicken breasts too (which my is my husbands fav but the rest if us can get tired of them) but I can cook chicken so many ways now! I could cook it a different way every night for weeks but need a break so I don't!LOL! I agree with Cath about the crock pot but I can't even cut the potatoes, veggies up so I cheat on that too. You know those new microwave Idaho reg. potatoes in the frozen section are so easy and then I can mash them and add s/p etc to taste and the kids approve....we had a taste test and they beat all others....LOL! And those new steam fresh bags of veggies are my style these days!

Easy crock pot recipe: chicken breasts, 2 large cans cream of mushroom soup in crock pot all day, chicken will fall apart when done....add in 2 cans of french green beans(drained) until hot....then cook minute rice and throw chicken mixture on top! If you like that kind of thing. Less of ingredients if you need less, I have a teen-age son that will eat it for leftovers with his friends here too!!

I have an easy recipe for chicken parmesian too. I cheat and use it all the time! But sometimes I just resort to ready made raviolli and ready made sauce with salad from a bag and bread.

I use my toaster oven, crock pot, microwave, stove as much as I can. I still need help with the oven, no bending yet.

I'm sad I never bake cookies or make nice meals or desserts for my family anymore because by the time you get the ingredients ready you can't follow through! Or you pay for it more than it's worth.

I do hope you get some pain relief and have your helper help you make a meal you can enjoy with enough for leftovers too. Good luck and if you want some quick recipes let me know and I can pm them to you.

• Frozen hamburger patties, put on a piece of foil sprayed with pam, add some baby carrots, onion, sliced potatos and a little butter and salt and pepper. fold ends of foil and put on grill for 10-15 min per side. Wahla meal on grill and no pans to clean. Banquet makes some great crock pot meals and hamburger helper isnt bad in a pinch.
  • It's 4:20AM and I am still awake but the pain is easing up some so perhaps I can get to sleep soon. I am sure all of you know how our sleep habits are. To sleep the whole night is an unheard of for us.
    Cath...Thanks for the hug. That is something I can always use. I am still not sure when my implant will be. My pain Doc will not do one until 2 weeks after the trial. I want it NOW!!
    Jim....Thank you for the kind words and yes the pain is savage!! I am so sorry your permanent implant could not be done. Boy that is a bummer!! Best to you my friend.
    Wrambler....My thoughts have been with you while you were getting your permanent implant at long last. Yes, I recall the way you suffered while waiting. I am so happy for the "good" pain. I do understand. Have they turned the stimulator on yet?
    Kathy....Thank you for the wonderful sounding recipes. I too love to cook and bake and I hope to be able to do those all again once I get my implant. I am going to try the easy crockpot recipe for sure. Makes me hungry. Ummmmmm..Sending you a hug.
    Iowarobin..That is a good idea for a meal and no clean up is even better.Thank you for sending it to me.

Thanks to each one of you for leaving me a comment. You people here are the best.
    I will make it through this rough patch.....it is just a bump in the road and things will soon level off.
    G'nite....A smile and a hug to everyone >:D<
    Patsy W
  • Yeah, they have it turned on. I don't though ! It is kind of strange. The pain has been "good" since the surgery. Since the pain meds are working and they do not want me recharging it till two weeks after surgery I have left it off.

There is a low charge point they don't want you to exceed and if you do they have to reset it at the PMs or medtronic offices. If you discharge to far more than twice they won't reset it and the ipg must be replaced. Call me chicken, but I would rather let it alone till I know I can recharge it when needed.

I have a lacrosse game on Saturday I don't want to miss. I want to save the charge for times like that when I am out.It had about 75% charge when implanted. I ran it the first day, then realized my switch to Percocet for the surgere was covering it. Off it went! Their fear of recharge is they don't want contact on the incision area of the ipg. So two weeks is needed to heal up!

I don't want to steal your thread here! Maybe time to cook some chicken! :D Hope you feel better today!

• So happy to hear you pain meds are taking care of your pain and you can leave the stimulator off.
    I woke this morning to my normal pain level....thank goodness!!
    Part of my problem, I think, was because I went to my Dr the other day and then "crutched" my way to the drug store only to find he wrote the script wrong and then had to "crutch" back to the Dr's office and then back to the drug store! To much walking on my poor ole legs even with crutches.
    Hey...I feel so much better today I may be able to actually cook something besides a chicken breast!! :D
    Whew #:S I have made it over the hump....I hope, but Shhhh the powers that be may hear me and decide to "test" me again.
    Have a lovely day... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • Now go find something different and good for dinner! LOL!

It's Friday night so our son always has plans to go out so we order out/pick-up and eat on paper plates or go out close to home sometimes.....no work or clean up! Yea!

Have a good week end and I hope your pain stays in control.

• I spoke to soon and the powers that be heard me and are "testing" me again!! ~X( But it was nice the couple of hours it lasted and I am thankfull for that bit of relief.
    I believe strongly in paper plates coz I have to stand and wash dishes by hand and that is an ordeal.
    Have a great weekend. >:D<
    Patsy W
  • How do I manage? Well, my husband cooks the most and he's used to doing it after getting in from work. I try to prep things for him, or season whatever meat we're having ahead of times. We also rely on take out or frozen meals like Stouffers, Bertolli, Voila, etc. I cook when I can, but nothing elaborate anymore. My kids help too b putting on the vegies or making mashed tators. I feel bad that I don't cook as much but it hurts to stand around tending the stove. I go for something that you can throw in the oven and walk away. You gotta love the stoves with timers- or else everything will come out black and charred :O
  • Hi Patsy,

Best wishes to you for more relief hours this weekend.

Was thinking of a few other easy food options for you:

Baked potatoes in the microwave. For variety, topping them with chili and cheese is good... if you like that. Also good with baked tater tots.

BLT's - yes, these you can do... lol. If you microwave a pound of bacon, you can save the cooked bacon for later use on sandwiches, salads or baked potatoes.

Canned tuna or chicken for sandwiches or on salads.

Hard boiled eggs for egg salad, tuna salad or on salads.

Cheese quesadillas in the microwave with salsa on the side.

Roll up slices of lunchmeat with a piece of sliced cheese and a pickle in the middle. (Good with crackers)

Crock pot your meats and bake your fish. Instant mashed potatoes and boil-in-bag rice are quick and good side dishes.

Casseroles in the oven.

• You are so right....Thank God for ovens and timers! Most of the time I can only manage something in the oven coz I just can't stand for any time. Being on my feet is murder.
    One day a week or so ago i was able to manage a big pot of chicken and drop dumplings! I don't know if it was coz i can't manage anything like a meal anymore or I was just hungry but that was soooooooo good!! I ate chicken and dumplings for 3 days!!LOL
    I am just going through a rough patch right now but I will get myself out of this funk.
    Hey....I am gonna have my SCS implant in a couple of weeks so this savage pain will not last much longer will it?
    It is so difficult for me to care for myself right now it made me wonder how others manage. I am sure a lot of people are in more pain than I.
    Thank you for your comment. i always enjoy reading your posts.
    Have a great weekend... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • You just need to get to the SCS! It's easy, you did not hear me complaining! image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> Well, maybe just a little :$

I used to love to cook, it has been a long time since I did any though L)

I love crockpot meals, make it up and walk away till dinner time. We eat a lot of those still.

For a break from chicken.
    Pork tenderloin with a can or bag of Saurkraut on top of it.
    We make vegetable soup in a crockpot. It is killer and you can make it from all bagged frozen or canned veggies. You can even get the meat in stew chunks if needed. Best way is to cook it, then place it in the fridge and reheat the next day as the soak really makes it better.
    We also do ribs, my wife will take boneless Pork ribs, brown them either on the grill or under the broiler in the oven, then crockpot and pour barbeQ on them an hour or so before dinner.
    Turkey legs and thighs or a whole breast also works good in the CPot. Place them in the crockpot add celery, carrots, salt and pepper and let cook.
    Chuck roast is good, brown the roast in skillet add potoatoes, onion and carrots. I would place a bed of carrots in the bottom and lay the roast on them and surround it with the pototoes and onions cut in half and more carrots. often the bottom carrots are overcooked at the end, just toss them or dogs love carrots cooked under a roast!

When those ideas are used up you can get any number of recipes online! Google crockpot recipes or cooking. You'll get a lot of hits trying to sell you books, but there will be whole recipes in there to!
  • I really feel for you all who are suffering from aches and pains and numbness and tingling. Believe me, before my fusion surgery, I could not stand more than 30 seconds without experiencing the worst sciatic pain and numbness in my foot and leg. I can tell you in three words what I discovered to help me in the kitchen: Costco and Trader Joe's! I am not sure if you have Trader Joe's in all parts of the country (I live on the west coast) but they are wonderful! Both have a lot of prepared food that are absolutely delicious, especially with some added personal touches. And the desserts, oh, they to die for! I created whole meals form these places. God bless them!

• Thank you for the ideas. I always enjoy your posts.
    I am through the rough patch I hope. :D
    Hey....I just happen to have a Pork Rost in the freezer!! And I love saurkraut!!
    My problem is that I cook everything from scratch....even roll my own noodles. Now that I am in such foot and leg pain I can't stand on my feet long enough to prepare the dishes I am use to cooking. I have no canned soups or frozen dinners or anything like that. I can or freeze my own vegetables from my own garden that I can no longer plant :''( I even make my own pie crusts and make cakes from scratch.I hand crank my ice creams.Hmmmmm wonderful!!
    I make Biscuits and Cornbread from scratch and being a hillbillie like you I must have my pinto beans and cornbread. :X
    I will try the wonderful recipes that are easier to prepare.
    Can't wait to get my permanent stimulator.
    Hope you are doing well.
    Hugsssssssssss >:D<
    Patsy W

Just wanted to add that I was able to prepare a meal today but now I have to clean up the kitchen X( Instead of buying a dish washer I bought a riding mower !! Oh well...The dish washer is at the top of MUST HAVE list.
  • Thank you so much for the comment. I am just going through a really rough patch since they pulled the wires on my trial SCStimulator.I will snap out of this...I always do. It's just a bit difficult walking and being on my feet right now. Pain meds help but for some reason they are not doing their job.
    Do you still have to fight pain or did surgery clear up your problems? Boy if it did that's wonderful!! I am so happy for you.
    Thanks for the tip but I live near the East coast.WV I do not think we carry those brands here but will check.I also live in a very small town in the mountains.Call me a hillbillie. :D
    Thanks again for taking the time to leave a comment. They do help.
    Best to you Kin....
    Patsy W
  • Go WV! uh, just hang in there! It is rough, I sometimes wonder exactly what happens between the trial and the permanent placement. My only guess is that running a little electricity through there just makes things angry.

That and our weather has been totally AWFUL!

It will get better as time passes, I hope your permanent gets placed soon and brings back the tingles!

Somwhere else in WV!
  • My problem is solved!!
    Why I did not think of this before I do not know!!
    I called this morning and started Meals on Wheels!!
    Thare is a charge for this service but it will save on my groceries so it will even out in the end.
    No more hobbling around in my kitchen trying to put together even the simplest meal!
    Meals on Wheels is for anyone who need the service for whatever reason.....not just the elderly.
    When I explained my situation....they were happy to start bringing my meals to me and ask why I had not called them sooner. Well Duh...I am just slow witted I think! :))(
    Thanks to everyone for your comments and ideas. That really meant a lot to me.
    Hugsssssss Hugssssss and more Hugssssss
    Patsy W
  • Glad you thought of that!
    Hope you feel better soon.
  • I sooooo feel for you! I'm grateful to everyone for the awesome recipies! Patsy, your Meals on Wheels idea is so helpful to me, thank you!!!!!!!!! >:D< I have the same pain as you. When I stand for more than 5-10 minutes, not only do I feel all the evil pain and sensations, but I feel like my legs fill with quicksand, sprinkling down from my back, through my buttocks, and settling in my legs beginning from my feet and filling up my legs... I hope this makes sense! I'm sending you an immense amount of positive energy to help you get through... riiiiiight... NOW! Did you feel it??? :) Oh man, I'm just not in a good way right now, but like you, I'll pull through! I hope you put that positive energy to good use... May I suggest using it to cooking something easy other than chicken? :))( Hahaha, just kidding, I love chicken! If I lived near you, I miiiiight just show up for dinner!!! :B I can tell you jokes or we could start a poem, taking turns with each line, to help pass the time before your implant. I must admit I'm a bit jealous that you're getting relief soon! I hope you are making it through alright! And thank you so much for all the recipies everyone!!!

Much love and understanding,
  • Aren't the recipes just great!! Hasn't everyone been sooooo helpful?
    I don't know why i did not think of the Meals on Wheels before now but it is going to be a lifesaver for me and they pass my house every day!! I am so thick headed.
    Thank you for the positive energy. I am sure it will help.
    And thank you for the lovely comment.
    I do hope people will keep posting easy recipes. I am sure they are a big help to a lot of us. All of us in pain need helpful ideas with preparing something quick and easy.
    So keep sending them folks......Lisa and I love them!!
    Sending you a hug and luv. >:D<
    Patsy W

• You got it, Patsy! Meals on Wheels, why didn't I think of it? As far as your question, I am one of the lucky ones, my back has been wonderful since the surgery, no pain, whatsoever. Now only if the rest of my body wouldn't fall apart!

Best to you,

• Why didn't I think of it myself?? L) They drive past my house every day and a bell did not go off. Boy am I a nerd!!
    I am so happy surgery helped you. It did for me for a while until the scar tissue took over and wrapped itself around the nerve roots.!! Yikes!!
    I should be getting my permanent stimulator implant about the first of June. I want it NOW!! I do not mind the tingling at all. It's not a cure but it's as close as I am ever going to get. It masks the pain and that is wonderful!!
    Oh my...my house smells wonderful. The girl that cleans for every week was just here and mopped with this wonderful smelling Lysol. Ummmmm it smells so fresh!!
    I am set now. Have my meal and a clean house, fresh sheets and all!! Plus i got a huge dill pickle in my lunch!!! Life is good!! =D>
    Hope your day is a good for you.
    Hugssssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
This discussion has been closed.