Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

posterior/anterior cervical multi level surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone had both posterior and anterior cervical fusion surgery? i will be having a multi level Stage 1: PSF fusion of C3-T1 and then Stage 2: ACDF C3-4, C4-5, C7-T1 Stage 3: Revision ASF C6-7

I had a prior surgery ACDF of C5-6 and C6-7. C6-7 did not fuse. Surgical plate was screwed into and damaged disc below. I have been dealing with much pain for quite a long time. My surgeon tells me I will be 85 to 90% after recovery which will be at least 1 full year.

If anyone has any information on this or has gone through something like this. I would appriciate any feedback. I still have time to back out.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    im really interested in the outcome of your surgery due to the fact im scheduled for acdf 3,4,,5,6 and 7. i also have had 3 prior surgeries due to failed fusion. My surgeon believes he will have to do anterior and possibly posterior .
    He states that he will attempt to do all the surgery from the front but that it may not be possible, so i will not know until after surgery. when is your surgery scheduled? Please keep me updated. You are the only post i have seen that is similar to my situation and like you i have many unanswered questions.Feel free to pm
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Gailiegirl,
    I'm 20 months post-op of a corpectomy, discectomy, multi-level c-spine fusion of C3 thru C6. I had a strut, cage, plates, rods, & screws installed both anterior and posterior.
    Your surgeon is probably accurate as it takes about a year to see the fusion and get entirely back up to speed. I am glad that I chose to have this procedure done and would do it again in a heartbeat if need be. As a matter of fact I'm sure I will be having more surgeries in the future. I hope you have as good results as I have had.
    Take care,
  • Hi Ranger.
    How was your recover right afterwards? I guess that is what really scares me the most. not waking up or waking up on a breathing machine breathing for me. I was told 2 days in intensive care to let them breath for me because of the swelling from the posterior? How long were you in a brace? how is your range of motion? I'm a golfer. I love the game. Will I be able to next year? lots of questions huh? thank you for responding. i really needed to know someone else has gone through such a major surgery.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Now I am really concerned about my surgery.A BREATHING MACHINE!!!!I wasnt told this was a possible thing that could happen.I think I need to talk to my surgeon some more. Keep me updated
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hi again Gailiegirl,
    My surgery took 6 plus hours and when I woke up they were taking me out of the elevator into Neuroscience ICU about 9 p.m. I felt just great as they kept my pain managed well. The next morning I was assigned to a room and was up walking by mid morning. I was realeased the following morning. I had a soft collar for approx 60 days but was allowed to remove it while sitting still such as watching TV, reading, eating. I did feel more stable with it on, it sort of made me feel more secure. I am surprised how much range of motion I still have but looking over my left shoulder while driving is a little more restrictive. There should be no reason why you cannot
    play golf just follow Dr's orders and don't over-do anything.
    Hope I could be of some help to you, feel free to PM me if I can answer any questions you may have. Keep us posted here on your journey, I'm confident you will do well.
  • Hi there....Im in Australia and just underwent multilevel fusions at C4/5, 5/6 and 6/7 and 18 months ago a fusion at L5/S1 and TDR at L4/5..

After the op your throat will be extremely sore and swollen..One thing they dont tell you is that you can end up needing further surgery to due a hoarse voice and/or swallowing trouble...Worse luck, Ive got both and my physio cant believe how swollen it is...Please PM me if I can help you any further

The movement in my neck is ok but my lumbar is giving me hell..
  • I have had both anterior and posterior.
    anterior 4-7 It was a walk in the park next to my posterior. recovered and back to work in 3 months. No brace

posterior lamenectomy with bi lateral screw fixation c 3-7
    and in a collar. sugery on August 26, Not back to work and deemed disabled by the doctor. Wore a brace for 7 months. 5 months without taking it off at all and 2 months on and off. to this day I still wear it when I am in a lot of pain. I have 13 screws 2 plates and rods in my neck.
    I was in surgery for 7 hours, and went to recovery for a few hours and retured to my room for 7 days. I didnt have any breathing machines just oxygen for a day or so. Its been a long long struggle. In the meantime I have been treated for my knee pain and have to have a knee replacement
    Last visit last week I came up with some symptoms that are cconcerning the doc. Drop foot and brisk-hyper knee reflexes on the good knee. so I am off to have a lumbar mri ttonight... I have to tell you that I am 51 and have worked on my feet all my life I am a chef/baker and most of my work weeks were 60 plus hours. So I did alot of damage to
    myself, Good luck with all that you do, and try to remain p
  • Possibly a breathing machine. I won't know it from what i've been told. they will have me sedated. only if i have alot of swelling will they do this
  • I am a bit calmer after reading these. This site does help with all the questions running through your head. How was the pain from the incision in the back? how long is the incision in back?
  • my incision is about 8 inches, but they had to do alot.
    Pain from the incision was hurtfull in the begining, It was the muscle and nerve pain after that was so bad. Again they had to do alot and I was open 7 hours, so thats a long time to have muscles pulled back.
  • did you have both posterior and anterior done at the same time also? 8 inches. wow! I suppose with mine it'll be about the same. I am a bit scared of this surgery because of the length of time. Were you in a brace too? I will be fitted for mine right before my surgery. 2 weeks to go.
    Any other information would be greatly appriciated. did you have any swelling from the posterior where they breathed for you? that makes me a bit uneasy. I know it is for the best. Sounds like the Posterior approach is a quite painful recovery. Long too.
  • Hello All,

I'm doing fine and it's been 2 years this month. I do have pain off and on depending on what I'm doing. Golfing is a breeze. YEAH. It wasn't that bad truly. I have learned to take one day at a time and LIVE LOVE LAUGH out loud!! Ranger, it was a scary time and some days can still be "what if days" but all in all life is great!!