Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what is a normal/abnormal range?

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
wondering if anyone knows what is a normal or abnormal range when you have had a emg performed? I have tried to get some info on line - but couldn't find anything

• Baffled

I take it you are reading the emg study itself. The only help I got with those reports in understanding them was some books online. I forget the name of the books i found but there is some information in them. I think if I remember correctly the higher the number is means there is something. If you look and it says abnormal the corresponding number should be higher. My understanding is that is the amp at which they turned up to, to get a signal. So if you have it done on one side and then the other and have pain on oneside compare the numbers. I think everyone is going to be different cause of the length of a limb if that makes since. Do you remember them using a tape measure? I think that is how they calculate the baseline on your measurements. So lets say they were doing your arm. They measure the distance then it calculates the variable used. I have had several emg's done and have the reports and was just looking them over trying to learn them. They are much more confusing than anything. I have also had a surgeon tell me he wanted a repeat emg following a surgery done on the same machine and by the same examiner. He said in his experience those test can be done differently and the machines are calibrated differently.

So I really don't have a good answer, but that is the best I have. Hope that helps some. Take care.
  • thanks for your reply...yes, they did the measuring and such...when the doctor for the needle test dismissed me at the end of the test, he asked what did i do 2 years ago when this all happen? he said the doc would have the report in a day and now i am waiting to speak to my doc on the 14th.

I didn't ask the needle doc what the report would say - he didn't have the best bed side manner and i chickened out - which i really wish i wouldn't do...anyways, while i was getting dressed i saw my name on the screen with a whole bunch of other names....no really information except the last column said some numbers for all of us....my was 30.6 and the others where in that general area...some went up into the 40's.....wasn't sure if that had any meaning.

I have only found one thing on line...it was testing for carpel tunnel the numbers were in the 60's which was read as normal...and it noted as you get to 15 it is something significant...but i may be reading that wrong.

they noted carpel tunnel for me - but i have had surgery on both hands (05 & 06)- and the pain i feel in my hands is not carpel tunnel...so i am not sure what the readings are - like most people - do not like waiting for the doc appt....but i guess i will have to.

thanks again - patti
  • Just FYI, carpal tunnel can come back. I had surgery for carpal tunnel in my left hand in 04, and the last emg I had showed it again in both hands. Bummer. I agree, the results are very confusing. Good luck, and let us know what your doc says on 14th.