Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgery pain 5 months later

RICKRRICK Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had 4-7 surgery Dec 9th 20008 at the time I thought it was 100% suggestful, the doctor said I could go back to work after 8 weeks, did the phy rehab and felt great. About two months ago I started to feel pain anytime I turned my head to the right (I didn't have have this before the surgery) it has gotten so bad that if I am sitting next to someone I have to sit on their left side so I don't turn my head to the right side. I have a real bad time driving and parking, look backwards is hard and hurts.
I changed medical Ins. May 1 and see my new doctor May 11th for a phy, my #1 question for him will be what's wrong with my neck.
Does anyone have any experance with this type of surgery and post 5 months with new pain?

• Hi Rick. I also had a C4-7 surgery back in October, so I'm almost seven months out and still have pain. It's not debilitating, but I think I keep it at bay as much as I can with pain meds and muscle relaxants. The pain I'm experiencing is aching in the back of my neck (used to be left side only, but entire back now) and muscle spasms in my back.

I don't have any problems turning my head, but if I look in any one direction for very long, that really hurts. I'm glad you're going to see your new doc so you can ask him about it.

Please be sure to keep us posted.
  • I had c4 to c7 March 26. I am getting burning and such but not all the time. Stress seems to make it even worse. I am fortunate enough to work from home so that makes life so much easier.

I would definately bring up your concerns and keep a log of your activities and symptoms until you go see the new doc. This can give them insight into what is happening.

Best wishes
  • this makes me sad....
  • I had my ACDF July 9th last year and just in the past month, I've started getting the burning sensation in my right arm again and cracking in my neck. My usual plan of attack is under way...Call the Doctor's nurse. Unfortunately, she did call back and I missed the call today. She's very prompt, which I love.

My last follow up in January showed me at around 80-90% fused and the doctor said things looked great. I had cadaver bone as part of the surgery for the discs.

Next follow up is July but I'm asking if they can get me in a little sooner because of the pain.

• I saw my new doctor today, he had Xrays taken (no word yest on them), he felt my pain may be from tight muscles, he gave me seven days of Prednisone, a supply of Hydrocodon-Acetaminophen and Tizanidine. I am to check back with him in ten days. I hope that's all it is although it's been two months with this new pain, it also goes down my pack.
    I am glad this new doctor is a nice guy and he does refer to the nero-surgern who did my surgery.
  • It's been a busy week trying pain pills and with no results, the doctor now has me taking Nortriptyline for chronic nerve/back pain and refered me to physical therapy to assist with pain control. This is not what I expected after having C4-7 fusion with plate & cage and six hours of surgery removing bone spurs Dec. 8, 2008. After 8 weeks off work and doing physical therapy I was feeling great, but the last couple of months this new neck pain started and it has just gotten worse, goes down to my upper back and right arm pit.
    It's no fun getting old (I'll be 60 in Nov) and I did not believe this could happen. I am hoping after a few weeks or months I will be sent back to my surgeon to get his opinon.
  • I saw physical therapy this week and she has me doing exercises with a thin rubber band, the feels my pain is from sitting at computer work/home and my posture. I don't know if I really buy this but am willing to try anything to get rid of my neck and mid back pain. It has steadily gotten worse the past 3 months to the point I am taking mussel relaxer Tizaniden, pain pill Hydrocodone/APAP and Nortriptyline. So far it has not done much for my pain, the neck ranges for a 4-8 depending on what I am doing and the mid back is a deep pain.
    This level of pain is worse then the pain I had before surgery.
    Really disappointed in where I am five and half months after my surgery.
  • I'm sorry you are going through this Rick.I don't have any answers,but want you to know that I'm here...reading your posts and I understand.

I also have neck and back pain.It never goes away.I take norco and tiz too.The tizanidine does help me relax at night,but knocks me out during the day--I've had my dose cut in half,but still,I'm too drowsy with it,so I only take it at night unless I'm having a super bad day-then I take it and sit in the recliner......all day.No fun I know.

Sitting at the computer makes my pain worse,and yet..I still do it way too much.I get tired of doing nothing else,and maybe some of us can't be physical,but I'm not going to let my brain rot too!!
    You know what I mean I'm sure.

Try putting a soft wet towel in the microwave for 20 seconds.....then on your spine for awhile.The wet heat helps sooth it somewhat.It's not the answer,but I sure wish that I could help.
    All the best.
  • Iam sorry your in pain, but I know what your going through... I had mine in March of 2008 and it has never gotten better. I applied for SSD in August of 2008 because I had to quit my job of 13 years because I couldn't stand the pain at work anymore. I went to several NS and they said there was nothing they could do for me, except a spinal cord stimulator or a pain pump.I haven't gotten either yet but i was a pproved for SSD in january of 2009.So this tells me my medical reports must have said Iam not good.......
    I wish you the best of luck, I went through the PT thing and it only made me worse. I hate to seem so negative but it is reality, and i FINALLY HAD TO FACE IT HEAD ON THAT i JUST CAN'T DO WHAT i USED TO DO.
    My surgeon told me from the beginning, this was just to keep me from becoming paralyzed and would not be a fix for the pain. I had severe cord compression so having surgery was not a chose for me.I just decided to face reality and move forward and do the best i can with what I have.
    I feel your best option would be to get several opinions and then move forward from there, of course iam not a medical professional so this is all just my own opinion...I had people tell me just give it time, it will get better, all those good ole' saying ya know. But, it has to be your chose to decide when it is time to just face facts, get several opions and move forward.....Sorry, Iam just trying to be very honest with you.You can look at my history down below and see what meds Iam on to make it through the day....
    Hope this helps
  • Well I have been doing the PT and no change yet on my neck pain, still taking pain pills with very little help. Just when I thought nothing else could go wrong last Sunday while walking my right knee started to hurt, I have had two surgery on that knee, the last one six years ago. I saw a on call doctor today about it, she said to do exercises three times a day and took x-rays, won't know what they say until next week. I don't agree with her opinon of my knee, I can feel there is something wrong with besides "a muscle" so I will go see my primary doctor after I hear about the x-rays.
    I did tell the doctor today that I will be 60 this year and I feel like my body is falling apart. I have never had this kind of neck, back that pills wouldn't relieve the pain. My wife is on SSI due to a stroke and firbomyalgia, she suffers from chronic pain and this is the first time I could really relate to her problems. She's always positive and keeps me looking for a solution, things can get better.
    I just wish it was sooner.
  • Well saw my primary doctor today, he is referring me neck pain doctor. I have been doing PT (exercises for 8 weeks with no change in my pain) I am taking pain and muscle pills still. He said this pain doctor may try the shots in my neck or maybe just send my back to my surgeon. He also sending my to knee doctor for my worn out right knee.
    If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself, I'll be 60 Nov. 18th.
  • Saw the spine doctor today after sitting in a pain management class for 1 hour 45 min's. During his exam I found out both of my hand are numb, when I turn my head and he pushed down on top of my head I had bad pain at the base of my head going down my neck.
    He is having a MRI taken next week and sending me back to the neck surgeon. I hope they can come up with what's wrong now, I didn't like hearing in the pain management class "if you have pain for more than 3 months it isn't going away". Bull, I want what's wrong fixed and get my pain free life back. I know this may not happen but I did not ever think after a C3-6 fusion I would be in more pain than before the operation. I will keep you updated as I walk the crazy path back to health.