Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Level 2 Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All, Im new here and was wondering if anyone has had a Level fusion of the L4-5 and L5-S1. I had a discectomy in 2006. It helped for a few years but now Im in pain once again. My neurosuegeon indicated that my L4-5 and L5-S1 are "collapsed". Therefore requiring surgery. Im a very active person, baseball ,surfing,golf,etc. How bad will this effect my athletics? I'm sure it will limit me some what but I was just wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm 38 yrs old with a 4 and 2 yr old. I feel I need this surgery to enjoy coaching and playing with my kids as they grow.

thanks Ron

• What type of surgery are they talking about (ALIF,TLIF,PLIF)? Your athletics will be affected, but not too terribly bad. I coach baseball for my son's team and the only problem I have is ground balls (can't bend over very well to get those). My golf swing has actually become better. Go figure!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • They are going in through the front. I'll have my consult with both surgeons this month
  • Ask your surgeon about what percentage of your range of motion you will lose. My doctor told me 14% bending over and that's pretty much what it was.

A lot of what you can and cant do after surgery all depends on some variables. Amount of scar tissue that develops, rehab, what all he has to do once inside your back, etc.

Like I said in my earlier post, I still coach baseball but have my limits. I'm an active scout leader with both of my sons and still do all the camping outdoors. I don't do hiking trips anymore because of how bad I feel afterwards (wearing a backpack). Sleeping on an air mattress isn't recommended when it's cold outside!! I couldn't hardly move for week after that little trip!

A good attitude about the surgery and recovery will go a long way about how you feel to continue being active with your kids. Some days you may have a little more discomfort than others, but you will learn to deal with that and learn what triggers any further discomfort.

Keep in mind that recovery takes a while, so don't get down in the dumps when your kids want to run out and do something and you physically cant at that point.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • My NS warned me that I would lose mobility with my S1-L4 fusion. I had to tell him that pain limited me already - at least with a fusion I would hopefully not have the shooting pains down my leg.

I admit it - a bit of a flippant reply - but luckily my fusion worked and I am now living with a LOT less pain, a little bit less flexibility than before I had all these issues, but I am now fully fused and I dare say I am a LOT better off than I was pre-op.

p.s. My DH is back to running, hiking, weight training and almost MORE activities than before his micro-d he had 7 years ago. He even joined the military, served in Iraq and can beat the pants off any of the younger guys in his unit and our two 20+-year-old sons.