Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need some advice

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a microdesectomy 9 weeks ago and feel as if my back is not were it should be. I asked my surgeon about the pains and symtoms and he said to give it more time. I wanted him to prescribe me a post-op MRI ti just check how everything looks,he said it is not needed yet. Would it be wrong for me to go to one of my other ortho's and ask to get a MRI? Does anyone think this would create a problem?

Thanks in advance

• My personal opinion is that you stay with your surgeon's advice. You really don't want to risk a rift in your relationship with him by undermining his direction. He said it's not needed "yet", so it sounds like he's keeping an eye on your recovery.

That's just my two cents, for what it's worth.
  • My concerns are that if you have pains that need to be addressed then you need to listen to your body.

Years ago my PCP would always tell me he remembered vividly the day he delivered me into this world. He was not my Mother's ob/gyn and he did not deliver me....He was a great PCP, but they can think they know you like a blueprint and sometimes miss something new.

I tell you that little story because it is true and also, I believe that you have to take care of your body yourself.

I would get a second opinion asap. The first neuro would not have to be aware.....but it is afterall your body.
  • that surgeons follow unless something alarming is uncovered before then. Not positive about that though. :)
  • surgery (below) about 10 weeks ago. I still have some issues. Is your pain significantly less than it was pre-surgery? Did you have nerve pain and/or back pain, and which was worse? If you had nerve issues, the nerves can take months to heal and unfortunately, the healing process comes with its own little twinges and pain issues. Was your discectomy in the lumbar or cervical spine? We all heal differently and there are many variables. I guess I'd listen to the surgeon for 6 months or so, and then look for a 2nd opinion if your pain hasn't been significantly reduced.
  • My doctor ordered another MRI after 2 weeks because I was in pain and did not want to lose more paid work days. And sure enough, the MRI showed reherniation.

If you have faith in your doc, then I would follow his advice, but if you are in a lot of pain, then INSIST on another MRI. You know your body more than anybody else.

Going to your OS--don't be surprised if your OS won't see you, because many docs will not take patients who are still under the care of a surgeon.

Good luck!