Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Long Drive Home After Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello Everyone,

New here. Just found this forum. It has been very helpful so far but still have a few questions.

A little history on myself. I had preexsisting cervical and lumbar spine problem. Not bad, just some early degenerative chances and then was involved in an auto accident. Rear ended and caused injury to cervical spinal cord from the disk protrusions, torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders and ulnar nerve entrapment in left elbow.

I will be having a three level ACDF decompression and fusion at C4-5, C5-7 and C6-7 on Monday (May 11, 2009). My drive home is a little over a hundred miles after surgery. My husband is a little nervous about driving me that far. Is there anything to help make drive easier? Also get extreme nausea after surgeries and major headaches from anesthesia that last about 3 days. Any home remedies?

A little nervous... Really don't want to throw up after having neck surgery ;) Thanks for any info. given.

• Will you be in the hospital just one night or longer? After my last C4-5 fusion I was nauseous for at least 2 days following so I wouldn't even think of being in a car for any period of time. If you are not wearing a cervical collar afterward due to instrumentation I think maybe you should for the ride home anyway. Keep in mind you can always stop every now and then if need be take a night in a hotel to break it up.
    Best of luck to you
  • Tom, In answer to your question, I will be in the hospital for at least 2 days after surgery if not more. Also will be wearing a hard collar for at least 12 weeks even with instrumentation. Thanks for the advice. Definately stopping often. Maybe they will knock me out. That would be nice.

Did they give you any anti-nausea meds or did you not know you got nauseous after surgery?
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of support and friendship here - all these people are fantastic and knowledgeable.

I had the same surgery you're about to have. With regards to the nausea, talk to your anesthesiologist. Mine added tons of anti-nausea meds before an during surgery, and even put on of those anti-nausea patches on my left shoulderblade to wear during the surgery and a few days afterwards. I never had any nausea at all.

I'm glad you're wearing a hard collar - I did as well, and found it very comforting. It was a pain in the rear, but I felt my neck was supported and protected.

Good luck with your surgery and be sure to keep us posted. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or just want to vent.
  • yes I was on the anti nausea meds but I really don't think it helped much. My first surgery 2 years prior I did fine. Go figure
  • "Mine added tons of anti-nausea meds before an during surgery"

If I ever go back for another surgery which is likely I will definitely discuss that. Thanks