Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Frustrated with the pharmacy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Pain Medications
Do you ever want to just strangle the people at the pharmacy? I do, every month. As I have stated in the few posts that I have actually started, I take Methadone, Bacloflen, Nuerontin and Norco for break thru. Every month, I have to call my PM office for a refill. For everything but the Methadone, they fax over a refill script to my pharmacy. The pharmacy that I use is a chain pharmacy but I deal with the same problem at the 2 to 3 that I have tried. 3 to 4 days before my medications run out, I call the PM office for the refill and they fax over the requests. I give it a day or two and call the pharmacy to make sure that they have received the refill requests and try to confirm the day that I can pick them up.

Every freaking month, the pharmacy tells me that they haven't received anything from the doctor. I call the doctor's office, leave a message, wait for the call back and the doctor's office tells me that they HAVE faxed them over. I call the pharmacy back and again they deny that they have received anything. I usually have to go back and forth a couple of times until the pharmacy finally says "Oh, here it is, it was laying here on the counter because we can't fill it until so and so date."

Well, no sh#$%!! I told you when I called the first time that they were not going to be filled today but wanted to make sure that they go the fax and wanted to confirm the date that I could pick them up.

I try to request the refill from the PM doc and have the refill sent over a few days early so that I am not having to wait until the day my medication runs out. If you wait until the last moment possible, you never know if the doc is out for the day. This is why they PM office asks that we request our refills 72 hours prior to refill being needed.

I always take my meds exactly as I am supposed to but since I only get 30 days at a time, it don't have extras laying around until the pharmacy can get their act together.

I usually have to spend 3 to 5 days a month trying to get my refills because each of the meds refill dates are a few days different from each other and the pharmacy has to fill them on the specific date of each medication. So I end up having to call them for each medication.

SOOOOOOOOO FRUSTRATING!! I have tried a few other pharmacies but the problem is that some of them don't always have enough of the medication or they are only open until 6 pm so that is why I have been using this chain pharmacy. I just can't fathom having to deal with this for the rest of my life.

I apologize for venting but I had to get this out or I was going to come back to work and scream. Everyone at work would have thought that I had lost my mind or something.

Thanks for listening,

Jason
advertisement

Comments

• Deep breath.... Breathe in.... Breathe out....

I have gone through that VERY thing. Here is what I do to de-stress my life:

I call for my refill (out here, we have to use a refill request line, who calls the doctor's office for approval, then calls me back stating "your doctor has approved 2 refills..".

Wait for the call back that it's been approved.

Then I DRIVE TO THE DOCTOR'S office and pick up the paper prescription. Wait until it's time to re-fill... Then bring it myself to the pharmacy.

I realize I am wasting gas. But I am gaining a little bit piece of mind knowing that I have some control over it.

I sure hope the answer to your problem is this simple. It's a hassle, I agree. I sure hope you find a solution that takes away some of your stress.

Jeaux
  • This is exactly why I don't go to those big chain pharmacies. Even though my pharmacy closes at 6pm, I prefer them many times over the busy ones because they treat you like a number, and you don't get that "service with a smile". The staff knows me well and what's wrong with me, and therefore nobody passes judgment because of the meds I take. I get in and out in 10 minutes; no way can I sit around for hours waiting on anything, and if a problem comes up you're stuck in there all day. If they keep doing this crap, then I suggest that you transfer somewhere else. They KNOW you come in every month like clockwork and there's no excuse for that. I bring in all meds to my pharmacy every month and nothing is called in, and they make sure that my meds are on stock every month. That's what I call great service.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    especially using the big chain pharmacies. If the pharmacy is saying month after month about NOT received the fax or details from the doctor on your medications, you can take
    two steps:

- Contact your doctor and explain what the pharmacy is saying. Dont just wait for a return phone call. All doctors have an on-call doctor backing them up. The message here, is to make sure your doctor knows that Pharmacy is blaming the doctor about not having your prescription.

- If possible, do not depend on a doctors's office faxing in prescriptions. You can get written prescriptions from your doctor for all your medications, regardless of the available date that the insurance companies dictate. All the doctor has to do is write the different scripts and put the date when it can be filled. This way, you have all the prescriptions in your hands.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you all for the comments. I really do appreciate them. Yesterday was a frustrating day and I just needed to vent.

One of the problems with picking up the written form of the prescriptions is that my PM doctor is an hour away from my house so driving an hour there and an hour back each month is a little too much. I am going to talk to them on my next appointment about getting all of my medications set up for the same date so that I only have to deal with this hassle one day a month. I am definitely going to try and find a new pharmacy but the problem is that if I need to pick them up on of my work days (I work 7 days on, 7 days off, 12 hour shifts) then I have to be able to pick my medications up after 7 p.m.

As everyone knows, a refill for Methadone can't be refilled any earlier than the day prior to the refill date so you don't have a whole lot of flexibility for getting the script filled.

Jeaux, I took several deep breaths and everything is going to be ok. I really am not an explosive personality but it is just ridiculous that we have to go thru this kind of stuff. When I pick up medication for my children or some other medication for myself that is not pain related, I never have these type of problems.

Thanks again to everyone, it really does help to hear from you.

Jason

• I hate it when that used to happen at my old pharmacy. I would ask for my refill request to be sent to my doctor. The doctor always refilled same day..yet it took the pharmacy at least 2 days to "find" where they had set the darn fax. They always said "we're sorry, the doctor hasn't faxed anything back yet" Then after a few days and much argumentation..they say "Oh, here it is. Guess it was here the whole time."
    You notice in the beginning of this post I say "old pharmacy". After putting up with this stuff for 6 months, I switched pharmacies and have had no issues.

Take Care
    Jackie
  • I don't know a person that hasn't been through that same ordeal. I stopped using CVS and Walgreens just because of stupid little things like that. Another one is that they will tell you that you don't have that medication in your profile. It doesn't exist and for the past 5 years you've been getting from them every month, right? Right? Tell me this hasn't happened to anyone else. I couldn't believe tha one, but it was true. No sir you don't even have this med in your profile. HA HA HA.... What ever happened to CUSTOMER SERVICE???
  • =)) Yeah, I know. They can't find my meds in my profile even though I have seen them for those meds for a long time. (usually checking out at the register with that very same person all those times too)

Jackie
  • I agree. Just yesterday, I went to the pharmacy and the pharmacist didn't want to give me my refill of Nuerontin, 300 mg, because he said it could cause an interaction with my other meds. I looked at him and said " Are u kidding me? I have been taking this for a year and have had it filled here every time". He just gave me a confused look and handed the perscriptions to the clerk.

Just another day in the life of a spiney,

Jason
  • I know your problem well. Every month I call my Doctors office, talk to the communication nurse about my refill, she sends the message to my Doctor who in turn writes my script, then I must go to the office and pick up my paper script and hand carry it to the druggist. They always ask for my ID although they know me well. This works fine IF the Doctor has written the script correct.
    Thare has been times he has made a mistake of some sort on writing my script and I must go back to the office and requesta new script.
    For some reason my scrips fall due on the weekend and that can be a real problem coz the Doctor is not in the office and goes out of town every weekend. I have been stuck with no meds for a weekend. Whew....That is no fun at all!!Believe me I understand your flusteration well. For those of us who are in severe pain it is sooooo important that we always get our pain meds when we need them.
    Best to you Jason.
    Hugssssssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • I take Darvacet for my back pain(PRN)and have Lortab for breakthrough. When I get refills, the pharmacy people look at me like I'm some type of freak. They always make the point of asking why I have both meds. My standard response is,"have you had back surgery"? That shuts them up.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • You can try making an appointment with the pharmacy manager and explaining the situation. After you think your medicine has been called in, call the pharmacy and write down who you speak with each time. If it continues to happen (and i have been there with certain pharmacys not having the meds on hand), you have a log of who keeps telling you they dont have your prescriptions. You can then let the manager know who's not doing their job. More than likely whoever sees your prescriptions come through will then do the right thing instead of throw them in a stack in the "waiting to be filled" basket.
  • I hate the fact that controlled medications can't just be faxed to the Pharmacy. It seems logical that it would be SAFER and less prone to tampering if it was done this way.

Not to mention my PM clinic is moving to a city further away, so now I have to drive an extra 20 minutes to get my scripts each month? Ugh.
advertisement