Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Approaching ACDF....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
...and it couldn't be better timing. Actually, I think I waited a bit too long. I've had some wicked bad days lately. Nerves have been firing down into the right hand as usual but worse, and now both feet and my left hand. I also get a shock sensation running down to the bottom of my spine every time I flex my neck forward. Pain has also ramped up and it's been tough to sleep. I don't take anything stronger than Alleve or Tylenol, and they don't even touch the pain, so it hasn't been fun.

Not complaining or whining here, more so just sharing an update. Before I was hesitant and leery about going forward with ACDF, but now I can't wait, even though there are no guarantees.

• Ob,

Good luck on surgery. I don't see a date in your post? Sounds like your all ready for the surgery. Look forward to reading your post when surgery is over. Let us know how it went. Take care.
  • I have the same question as tamtam: when is your surgery? I also wonder why they're not including C3/4 as it's got the moderate herniation as C5/6. Of course, there's the C4/5 between the two, so maybe that's the difference. Hell, why don't they just implant a whole new cervical spine altogether? LOL jk

Take care and let us know when you're having surgery.
  • ...is 5/28.

tam - thanks for the good wishes...

cath - my hunch is that the other levels will need to be addressed at some point in the future, given my history. I have a bulge at 4/5, so I'm thinking that the 5-7 fusion will accelerate whatever is going on at the level or two above. hope not, but we'll see...if they offered the Steve Austin 6M dollar man bionic neck implant, I would sign up...

• more from you before surgery, but good luck if we don't. Go into it positive and you should have good results. Today is day 18 for me and I started strength training in the gym and feel awesome.

I will keep you in my prayers for an excellent result!!!

• Good luck with your surgery. I will be 6 wks post op from the same surgery on Monday. I see my surgeon on Tuesday for x-rays & hopefully to get my collar off. My recovery has been good. I walk 6 miles daily & am doing well. My only problem is very tight & knotted muscles in my neck/upper back but they have been like that for a long time so I don't expect quick resolution. It was seeking treatment for my muscles that led to the discovery of my cervical issues.

As Sean said...a positive attitude is important. I hope you will be another success story :))) Take care.
  • ...sean - I appreciate the thoughts...I won't be posting on here too much in advance of surgery, since I have a ton to wrap up at work and around the homestead. Be careful at the gym...

..joann - good luck with the follow appt this week! Thanks for the thoughts and support.