Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NY State Disability Insurance Through Work

WendeWWende Posts: 51
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I have some serious Questions about how disability works? I have applied for disability insurance through work. I called the insurance company to find out what is happening with my disability as I sent my papers on April 21, 2009 my employer sent theirs on Monday and once I got ahold of them to find out whats happening with my disability I was told my employer was being sent a check to reimburse them for my sick leave and that they are sending me an updated medical form. On 5-15 if I don't pay my insurance premium by then I will lose my medical coverage. But, I don't understand how they can claim reimbursement for my sick leave I worked hard to acquire and how am I supposed to get paid for the last 3 weeks worth of pay. I realize alot of people are out of work longer but, this is my lively-hood I have children and bills and I am the main bread winner and without my medical or my disability I don't know how I will provide for my family.
Anyone who knows anything about NYS disability insurance can tell me something I would appreciate it.

• There is nothing on my paystub to suggest I was paying towards disability. I know on my husbands paystub it says disability and there is an amount in the space next to it. On mine it doesn't say that. I do know I am responsible to pay my part of my benefits package I don't dispute that and as of present I don't owe any of my premiums but as of the 15th I will. I understand that I should pay my part of my benefits in order to keep them. But, on the 15th I no longer will be able to pay because I haven't received any disability.
    #1 I am wondering how long it should take to get the disability benefits.
    #2 I am just wondering how they can claim my paid sick leave and get reimbursed for it. If I worked those hours to acquire the sick/vacation leave, to which I used and was paid for until I used it all.
    I have been out of work since March 1, 2009 but, I did not apply for disability through my employer until I was scheduled to have surgery by the neurosurgeon in April. I just used all of my leave that I worked for until that point. As of this point I haven't had any leave since the week before my surgery.

• It's Short term disability, I even called the insurance company and spoke to a representative on the phone that is how I found out they were reimbursing my employer for my sick leave or should I say reimbursed them as the lady said to me on the phone we sent your employer a check today for reimbursement of your sick leave. As for the rest I am unsure.
    Last time I was on a STD from work it took me one month, 3 weeks and 3 days to receive my STD. I had already returned to work for 3 weeks by then and the pay rate for 33 days of disability was just a bit less than one of my 2 week paychecks.