Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to the Forum:Please HELP 21yrs old and have Herniated disc in lower back :'(

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Ok so I am new to this site and desperately need someone to help me find a solution that worked for them... I am 21 years old and in college. I herniated a disc in my lower lumbar area (a very common one) moving furniture I don't know which one bc I forgot when the doc told me after reading my MRI. Let me explain this first I have always been very athletic and at a decent weight not overweight but not skinny either. I have been blessed even with a herniated disc after reading these forums to have full mobility still, the only thing I cant do is kick a soccer ball anymore(that hurts so bad sends mad pain through my leg) I can run, play sports, but will have pain later. I refuse to take medications other than advil, naproxen(which I hardly take for the pain unless I cant sleep) as I dont want to get addicted so I just suffer thorugh it... I have had 2 steroid injections and the first helped me a lot... Me being stupid and trying to be my normal self was feeling awsome and was on a path to a great recovery until I decided to go snowboarding and took a bad fall. So the pain came back and then I got my 2nd shot in the same spot didnt do much compared to the first shot. I havent tried PT yet and hear good things? and am going to go very soon. I have been dealing with a herniated disc for 2 years now. I am deeply considering surgery to eliviate the fustration when I try to sleep at night with butt and calf pain in my right leg. It is like a task before going to bed I have to bend down and my spine pops a little and feels really good almost like my spine gives a little room to breath and relieves the pressure on that disc I get into bed and move around like crazy trying to find a position that doesnt make me feel that butt pain(I crack my back too sometimes I know very bad right? but feels good). Once I fall asleep and wake up in the morning I feel no pain until I get out of bed its weird(how I have pain going to bed but once awake in the morning I feel no pain sleeping more but when I get out I have pain). I am so confussed about a herniated disc Ive been reading a lot and they say its supposed to cure itself in max 6months???!???! not my case I guess... I cant stand, walk around, or sit in a uncomfortable chair a lot without taking a break(doing the back popping thing,stretching). I dont know if that back popping thing is bad for me but it feels damn good when it pops...

So I tried Bikram Yoga once an the teacher swears by it bc she has 2 herniated discs and says thats why she can still walk today... Well after the class she said it going to hurt and wont see results until 2 months later and ohh man was I sore the next day but it felt good... I stopped going bc its an hr away and costs a lot of money and I am a college student. I need to go to PT and see if that will strenghten my back enough to eliviate my pain...

What I need is someone with experience to tell me their success stories that wern't surgical bc I would really try anything I can not to have surgery but sometimes this back pain is so depressing and draining sometimes I feel 60 when Im only 21.
-If I dont get surgery will it get worse???
-Will my nerves in my legs deteriorate if I dont do something surgical?
-Maybe I should get a thrid shot in a different location?? But are shots bad for you at all?
-I was thinking maybe an artificial disc replacement idk im fustrated...??

But I still remain thankful that I am still flexible and can move but wish the best for anyone with back pain bc I wish no one this terrible torture of pain and numbness.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. do some homework here on the forum for some answers to your questions. :? talk to your doctor or pt. :-C i am sure there will be those that will come around with real life experience. :D good luck and i hope you find pain relief soon! :D Jenny :)
  • Hi there,
    I am in a situation somewhat similar to your own. I herniated a disc at 22, and now at 25 have another herniation and am pretty much totally disabled by the pain. As far as my experiences go, no doc will give you a replacement disk/back fusion at your age. Period. My doc says that at my age it would be 'criminal' to do so. The surgery puts stress on all the other discs in your back and your chances of needing a second similar surgery are greater than 90 percent over your lifetime, considering you are not old.
    Try the physical therapy- I am surprised they gave you epidurals without trying this option. I had very minimal pain for 2 years because I was diligent with the PT and the exercises they recommended, my pain only returned and worsened with I injured my foot and was on my back for 2 months.
    I would also recommend other non invasive practice like acupuncture. This helped me tremendously in the past.
    For nerve pain I hear that non narcotic meds are extremely helpful. Ask your doc about the anti depressant option, or meds like Nurontin or Cymbalta. I hear they are miracle drugs for those with nerve pain.
    If surgery is necessary, you shouldn't need a disc replacement. Instead there are lesser surgeries you should read about, such as laminotomies. I am new to this forum too, so I hope that others can provide you with more info than I have. I am not yet a dab hand at managing my own pain, but know that I totally understand yours.
    One very important thing that PT can teach you is correct weight lifting techniques. I also injured myself lifting/carrying things incorrectly. It's one of the best things to learn for someone with lumbar issues. Also, they can teach you sitting techniques to help you get through classes. They benefit me as a grad student.
    Good luck and feel better!
  • Thanks for the reply its nice to hear from someone my own age that can relate...

Yea I hear accupuncture works for my friend that has back problems but not a herniated disc so thats good to hear. I will for sure enroll in PT and try to do some accu. I would love to do Bikram yoga again but just too far.

Are the steroid shots bad for your back?

And for those who are wondering about beds for bad backs I have a Tempurpedic Rhapsody bed and it has helped sooooooooooooooooo much and Im in love with it!!!

Please keep commenting on the thread I want more feedback
  • It's rough you're young to have this problem and I also have a herniated disc also in the lower back and I've had it for 15 months. www.chirogeek.com is a pretty good site about herniated discs but read his disclaimer as well as I'm not a Dr. to give any medical advice. I talked to a gasfitter lady and she said it took 4 years for her back to heal. I was 47 when I hurt my back and now just turned 49 and I was quite active also and working full time as an RN in Emerg. and was fit and only about 20 lbs overweight. I had 5 epidurals and the 1st and 5th helped the most for the pain in my leg but still the back is sore. I had facet joint injections for the arthritis(arthropy) around the disc and the reason it probably feels good to crack your back it may be inflammation there in your facet joints. I had 3 sets of facet joint injections which helped my movement more. I would get a 2nd opinion for surgery if surgery is offered. I'm seeing a 3rd opinion NeuroSurgeon to see what he says if I need surgery. Take care and hope everything goes well for you surgery or not. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN