Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ugghh did I REALLY forget this?

alcbaalcb Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm home after 2 level hardware removal/replacement, with a cage finally at L5-S1 in tues.. Excuse my typing. Lots of pain w/this one! I was out of the hospital in same amt of time, but wi=orse off. B/c of the anterior/posterior...no good position to get into. I should have remembered how bad this was! What on earth was I thinking!?

• i just had the anterior done that was bad enough for me. good luck to you and please take care of yourself.
  • I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I only had posterior surgery and can't even imagine what it is like to be in your situation. Try to take it easy, let your teens do the work. They can be quite helpful sometimes.

Wishing you well during your recovery,

• I had anterior/posterior at L4/5 9 months ago. Yes, finding a comfortable position is difficult to say the least! Do you have staples in the front incision - I did and after they were removed it was a bit easier. Anyway, I slept on my side with a pillow between my knees and many pillows in front of and behind me for support. I also used ice packs in the front and back - held in place by the pillows. Getting ready to go to sleep was a major production. Then about every 2 hours I had to get up and move - for 2 reasons. First, because I could not turn over without getting out of bed and back in on my other side and also because walking - even just to the freezer for fresh icepacks - kept me from getting so stiff. But getting back in bed afterward meant I had to re-position all the pillows and icepacks. I was exhausted by the time I got everything back in place!

Oh, about 3 weeks post-surgery my PT suggested lightly massaging my front incision to prevent scar tissue. I did, but was a but too vigorous with it the first time - if you do this, do it very gently! And the walking helps, too.

Hang in there!

• Im reading this with interest. I am going to be having a 360 of L-4 to S-1 in about a month or so. I had a PLIF on DEc 19th but my screws are loosening and I have a problem with the bone growth.

I would love to hear anyone else's stories on this subject!!
  • keep the suggestions coming! I appreciate all of them! Oh Dina you poor thing! At least I had a yr & 1/2 between my surgeries! Although--lots of scar tissue so hopefully that's better 4 u. I had lots of anterior adhesions b/c of my 2 c-sections,hysterectomy & abd. lap. Right now I'm teetering in a zero gravity lawn chair for sleep b/c of screw up at the scooter store over a motorized lift chair. I should be in a motorized recliner!!!! UUUGGGHHH!