Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

DegenerativeShellyDDegenerativeShelly Posts: 279
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi everyone...Ive been on and off Tramal Slow Release for the past 4 years at the max dose of 600mg per day and it now has no effect on me...Cant take Pethadine cause it causes me to go into Anaphylaxis Shock and dont want to be on Morphine as it makes me depressed...

Im now on patches of Norspan which you change each week..Basically, this and Morphone, Fentinel and Ketamin are all thats left for me as Ive had these before..

Can anyone suggest anything else before the pain sends me completely round the bend....???I live in Australia...

• Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. Hopefully this flare up will level out for you. I hear many people are on fentanyl for years and it still works for them. I've only been on MS Contin since last year and my Dr. won't change my pain med even though it's not working for me. I have an infrared platinum heating pad which is helping the leg and the back. My 1st PM Dr recommended that and with a prescription I didn't have to pay tax. I had to get a 2nd opinion because the first PM Dr kept on about the weight and trigger point injections which helped at first but after awhile ouch. How about the SCS or Morphine pump? I hear they can put DIlaudid or another med in the pump if you're sensitive to morphine. I take lyrica and amitriptyline for the nerve pain. What are you on for nerve pain? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • have you tried oxycontin? i have been on it for 3/4 years now and find it to be an excellent pain killer with few side effects ..ask your doctor
  • Thanks for your kind words....They have me on Valium for the nerve pain..I will speak to my Dr about a pump..

I already have a sacral nerve stimulator implanted but they have it wired for my bladder..Maybe they could add more wires to help with the pain??? Im going to ask thats for sure..
  • Thanks Straker...Ive been on that before after my surgerys...THe Drs here in Australia dont like to prescribe it because of its addictiveness they reckon...Im going to hound my dr for something new for the relief..
  • Depending on exactly where your pain is or seems to be they may be able to add a second lead for pain to your SCS. I'd be very interested in knowing if that is indeed possible since your existing one is not for pain.

I know they commonly do two leads for pain alone. I guess a lot will depend on where yours is place, what type it is and if it can be programmed to do the two different actions without causing issues with your bladder control. I don't know anything about the bladder control or how that works.
    I had my permanent SCS implanted on Monday, yay!
  • Thanks for that info...IM sure going to check it with the Dr..Glad that yours is in and I hope, working well..
    Take care
  • I to suffer from chronic pain and have for 5yrs. I have had 3 surgeries with no relief in sight. The one medication I have used is methadone. And believe me when I say I have tried everything! Methadone is used for chronic pain alot, it is an old medication 30+ years. It last 6-8 hours, and does not make you depressed. You don't go up and down, you stay at an even keel. Yes it is used alot for people to get off heroin, but if you can get past the stigmatism, you will be fine. I have been on this medication for 4 years and it has been a blessing! Although I would love not to have to take medication on a daily basis,that's not a reality right now! Look up this medication and if you have anymore questions don't hesitate to contact me.

This discussion has been closed.