Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Getting a puppy!

Nicole74NNicole74 Posts: 123
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Good News
After 10 years of wanting a puppy/companion, my husband finally agreed we can get one. I didn't want to get a puppy before and have my husband unhappy about it. We have a few other pets, but I've always wanted a dog.

I will be searching either for a golden retriever or a brittany spaniel in July. This will by my new walking buddy.

I think by getting a puppy will help keep my mind off of the severe chronic pain, especially during the first few months of training the darling. I've been more then excited about it! :D

• hi! :H how exciting to be getting your first puppy. <:P i know there will be love at first sight when you find the right puppy for you.. :X i have a 70# Boxer/Pit and she keeps me very busy.. :D on those days you can't make it out, you will find no better company than your new puppy.. :D she will be the best company and will sleep right next to you when you are down. I) happy tails and remember to try and get a dog you will be able to lift and control. :? you are not superwoman and it is something i wish i had considered alittle more. here is to love at first sight! :X Jenny :)
  • Oh, Nicole, I'm so excited for you! We just got a corgi puppy a week and a half ago and he's just a darling! Of course, he can really try my patience, but he IS just a puppy after all!

Congratulations on getting a new puppy. Maybe we can trade training notes as our puppies grow. It's going to be nice having someone else on this board who's training a puppy at the same time. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but oh, that puppy breath is so sweet!

• Hubby just surprised me with a large dog kennel! Yay, one step closer to getting my new friend! :D
  • I can say this, I suffered from chronic pain for nearly 3 years, and once I got my puppy, it went away. Seriously...lol, I work 40 hours a week and do all kinds of stuff. Good luck!
  • I can't help myself...

Please search rescues first for your new pup. There are so many Golden Retrievers and Brittany Spaniels in need of homes and many, many breed-specific rescues for both that often have purebred dogs, as well as mixes of those breeds. By rescuing a homeless dog, you can help reduce the pain in 2 lives, rather than just one. ;)

I've volunteered at a high kill pound for many years and it's been especially bad lately because of the economy. Rarely a week goes by now that we don't have 4 or 5 purebred dogs come in with all their papers and pedigrees. Even with their "papers" on hand, they rarely make it out alive. :(

My "puppy" is 2 years old now and at his last vet check (2 weeks ago) he weighed in at 131 pounds. :))(

• The humane society is the first place we look for pets. We have always adopted our cats from there. :) However, we may be getting a puppy from my brother in law. He breeds very nice golden retrievers.
  • I have been suffering with chronic pain for three years. Two years ago my husband agreed to let me have an inside dog. I couldn't believe it. I got a maltese. She was only 8 weeks old and she could fit in the palm of your hand. She is such a little cuddle bug. I love her just like she's one of my kids. She has been a big help for me, not that the pain is any less, but she takes my mind off of it a little.

• I couldn't wait until July! I was searching and I found the puppy that I knew would be mine! I pick her up this morning. She is a beautiful Golden Retriever! YAY!
  • I just KNEW you wouldn't be able to wait! Good for you and good for your new little baby girl. She's lucky to find such a loving mama.

I can't wait to hear more from you - her name, where you got her, etc. etc. etc.

YAY! Wally says "Hi".
  • How wonderful you found your new baby. What a joy she will be.
    I have my darling little rescue Snauzer (Pepper) and I just adore her.
    Here is a tip.....if you use puppy pads to train her to use get instead the pads for people (the kind you put on a bed) they are larger and not as expencive.
    You are going to love your best friend and she will love you in return.
    Happy trails to the two of you...
    Patsy W
  • My puppy takes up a lot of my time, I mean a lot! I'm so greatful I went ahead a got her. She has made my days go by faster. Yay! Since I'm up most of the night, potty training has been a breeze. No accidents as of yet. I have crate trained, leash trained and she knows how to sit and wait. I can't wait until she is fully train and when she is old enough to go for a long walk with me outside.

Bailey is a very quiet dog for the most part. She listens well and loves the children. Very quick learner. She is 8 weeks old.
  • My Bailey is so aggressive. I have to give her back. She attacks me full force daily and sometimes twice a day. She has gone after my daughter too. This is so hard. I guess she got tired of listening to me. So weird for an 8 week old puppy.
  • So sad to hear you had to give up the pup! We have a Golden too & your photos reminded me of ours when she was little.

Are you going to look for another dog...or take a break?
  • I'm looking for a new pup! I will be more careful when selecting my puppy. I saw many red flags with the last breeder and I knew better. I never thought she would act like a raging out of control dog. She attacked my neighbor too. When I brought Bailey back, the breeder saw her aggressive side right away and didn't seem surprised by her behavior.