Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two level ACDF with hardward 9 days ago

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Everyone is different I guess, I was back to work on Monday 4 days post Op, with light duty. I do well with the pain meds, but nights are a beast! Fireworks down both arms and serious aches, but as soon as I get out of bed and walk around, and of course take the morning meds, I am fine again, all day. I have only a slight achy feeling in my back and shoulders and neck, with a few shocks here and there. I was told the soft collar was only if I needed it, and I hardly wear it. I use it to ice my scar, its so raised, almost like I have a straw under my skin, but it is pink and closed completely.

Strange thing for me was my lower leg nerve pain has left me completely, I thought it was from my lower bad discs, but apparently not. I did have cord compression in two places so maybe that was it...I use to have to sway when I stood still to soften the pain, but that pain is gone.

I think I am healing pretty good and will follow-up with my neuro in June. after all its only nine days. But I tell ya, nights are a total bitch for me, I have to prop myself up to almost siting to stay comfortable otherwise it is major fireworks and some serious sleep disrupting pain.

I want off the meds completely and tried Friday - oops! Not a good idea. Oh and I feel a little depressed because I am not 100% pain free yet.

• ...sounds like you are progressing OK. what levels did you have fused? bravo on the quick return to work...I'm shooting for a similar time frame.
  • because you aren't 100% after 9 days? Wow, I'm still not 100% after almost 11 weeks and I have no fusion or hardware. I think you are doing remarkably well and I'm very glad to hear it!
  • Don't get too carried away!Did your Dr say how you would know if you need your collar? My first ACDF I wore a hard collar for 3 months. The second one I wore the soft one most of the time (all the time at night)for about a month.I too thought I was a super hero.Be careful,I have an uncle that really over did it after his neck surgeries and he has severe and constant pain now.In fact he is disabled and can't work.Hope you get the results you needed, but take it slow. Have a good one Sagehen