Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

House Bound & waiting for surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Im new to the forum. Im 33 and suffering from a herniated L5/S1 disc. Its my second on the same disc. Basically, Im waiting for surgery which will hopefully be in the next couple of weeks. The main thing is that I cant do anything, I can only crawl to bed/toilet and walk for about 20 secs before the pain in my leg is too bad. Ive spent the last 5 weeks on the floor in my living room.

Im having a microdiscectomy but Im so worried that I will ba housebound forever. I have a 17 month old daughter that I cant pick up and two horses I cant ride.

Does the surgery help? I can only find horrible recovery stories elsewhere.

Any advice would be great.

• Hi,

I am a neckie, but I can tell you that my spiney friend, Dan, had his surgery on May 5th with great results. There is a great write up on him in the "view recent posts". I hope that this might help you feel better about your upcoming surgery. If you have trouble finding it, you can PM me and I will find a way to get you in touch with Dan or the whole story.

I wish you all the best with your surgery and recovery!
    God Bless you and your daughter!!

• Hi
    I was like you before my surgery two years ago, I was off work for ten months and couldn't do anything at all. I felt useless! I had a discectomy and fusion at L5-S1.
    I felt an improvement the minute I woke up from surgery the crippling pain in my legs had gone. It was bliss, yes the recovery was difficult but your surgery is less invasive than mine, so you will hopefully be better than I was. But you will feel better and then you just have to work hard at the rehabilitation with the physio's.
    Since my surgery I have returned to work, got a new, better job, can play with my niece and nephew and can walk through fields and woodlands with my dog for over an hour and a half.
    So good luck with everything but there is definately hope, your not through yet! :-)
  • Honey, I am in the same boat right now...(except for the baby and horses) I can barely walk now I am in so much pain waiting for my surgery next week. Just have faith. Its going to get better. I had a microdiskectomy and I was back to work in a week and walking a few miles. My pain now is a genetic problem that has been passed down through my mom's side. I did feel better after the Micro. Just take it slow and don't push yourself too hard. I will pray for you.
  • I am 33 and have been dealing with back pain since I was 15 and in a car accident, I had a percutaneous discetomy shave off the part of the disc that is bulging and hittign the nerve, years ago and now I need 3 Artificial Discs. L3-S1 I would think that your Dr. would put you on oral steroids or get a steroid injection in the mean time so you can function. Lots of ice on your spine, and what about a good physical therapist. Good luck, I also have a 9 month old that I have not been able to carry at times, it gets so bad. Hope this helps, what surgery are you getting, did you get multiple opinions, there are so many options out there these days. I would get either a fusion, or ADR, if I were you, so that you are better long term and not just temporary, you have a lot more living to do! Good luck!
  • Hey I just re-read your post and realized you are having the microdiscetomy, I didn't mean to say that you should have a fusion or ADR, your situation may be totally different than mine, and I wasn't meaning to give you medical advice, it just sounded so bad, I imagined that is what you were up for with the surgery. I think it will probably be a good first step to get you back up and running, I know that when I was younger it helped me, now I just have all 3 that degenerated 18 years later after my first surgery. It will always be your weak area, I can't ride horses anymore unless I'm in really good shape, and that has been difficult for me to get back into awesome shape after my c-section. Good luck!
  • I remember the time when my husband was housbebound for 2 months. He had to crawl to the bathroom, he used a bottle to pee in. It was BAD. I had three little ones to take care of along with him. I do know how it feels as I am getting there. I am here to chat if you need me. >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<