Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Those of you who had repeat surgery to remove scar tissue....

buckeyebackbbuckeyeback Posts: 384
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
How did you persuade your surgeon to go back in and remove it surgically? Mine isn't even sure that is what is causing my surgery to be unsuccessful (so far), but seems to be reluctant to find out or fix it. Wants to go back to conservative measures, which we all know doesn't work. I am soooo frustrated. My expectations were pretty high and now I feel disabled even more.

I'm considering seeing another neuro....

• I had 360 revision surgery with scar tissue removal from my L5/S1 nerve Tues. The only way to know for sure that there is scar tissue causing a problem is to go in surgically and see it. The catch 22 is that more surgery causes more scar tissue. I had this with my abdominal portion. W/2 c sections, hysterectomy, and lap surgery for an adhesion already, when the surgeon got in there he said everything was stuck together. He mentioned that he felt he got most of it cut out, but there will be more after this surgery. I would definitely pursue with another NS as a 2nd opinion, but don't jump into more surgery for the sake of knowledge.
  • I have heard from too many folks that the surgery to remove scar tissue only creates more scar tissue in the long run. Good luck.
  • Yes this can be a very awful cycle concerning the scar tissue.
    My mother started off with surgerys early in life, now she is basically dying because of the returning adhesions.
    The adhesions wrap around her bowels so they to have do surgery to remove the adhesions. She lasts about a year and it happens again. I believe she has had surgery 10 times for the same thing. Anyway adhesions and scar tissue can cause a vicious cycle, so i would say if you can avoid surgery then do so. I have never had surgery before my fusion 6 weeks ago and i had severe adhesions all around my l5 s1 area and nerves. They thought that all the material showing on my MRI was herniated disc when he got in there he found that the discs were not that bad but severe adhesions and scar tissue instead. This was due to a mild form of spina bifida that went unnoticed my whole life.
    I just hope and pray that it doesnt become an issue for me as it did my mother.
  • I am scheduled for an ESI on Friday to help calm things down and if that doesn't work, my surgeon said he would go in and clean out whatever is in there through exploratory surgery.

I must say that TODAY, after 3 months, I felt pretty decent for the first time in a LONG time (no percocet today too). I've been doing the "nerve glide" hamstring stretches in PT and at home. I just started taking a systemic enzyme that allegedly targets "dead matter" in the body and feeds of of it, so to speak. We'll see if it works, but I'm trying to avoid anymore surgery.

• I was told last year i had tons of scar tissue from my 1st surgery and to remove it would not be advised the doc could not even give me an injection for to much scar tissue the injection would not even go through as soon as he did an mri he sent me to a NS and i found out the first doc left me with nothing but holes no bone fusion did not take plus there was no evidence of any fusion,
    so when i had my 2nd surgery L-2 L-3 L-4 L-5 s-1 they removed all the scar tissue i have been in sooo much pain and i know i should be feeling better almost 4 months post opt but the burning in the groin area has effected me,

so now i am starting to get joint injections but to go in to remove scar tissue is not recommemed!!
  • I will try every other alternative before trying surgery. Maybe hypertonic saline injections into that foraminal area will be the next step or another ESI. My latest ESI effects are starting to weaken already, but it did help a little. Still stretching and walking til hopefully some noticable changes happen that are positive.
  • I also suffer from scar tissue and nerve damage. Scar tissue caused the nerve damage. I was told no surgeon would even try to remove it coz it would just cause more scaring. I have had it so long now the damage is permanent so removing it would do no good. I have had 2 surgeries at L4 & L5, that is the nerves that runs down your legs and into your feet.
    My foot and leg pain is savage and never lets up. Pain meds help some but am still in a lot of pain.
    But thare is hope!!
    I am having a SCS implant to stop the pain signals from reaching your brain.(spinal cord stimulator) You trade one sensation(pain) for another sensation(tingling) I will take the tingling any day!! I have had the trial and it was a success. Now i am just waiting for the date for my permanent implant. It should be about the first week in June.
    If you want to learn more about the SCS just type scs in the search box at the top of this page and it will take you to the page that contains all the comments from everyone that has the stimulator or are waiting to have the trial.
    Remember it is NOT a cure. It is one way to reduce your pain so you do not have to take so much pain meds. It is not for everyone.
    Best of luck to you....
    Patsy W
  • Trading pain for tingling is a good tradeoff. I wish you the best Pat! Let us know that you are feeling much better when you get it! :)