Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone Use Lyrica For Nerve Pain?

JwriterJJwriter Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
I'm a 46 year-old DDD patient that's recently been prescribed Lyrica (50mg X 2 daily) by my PM Doc for unrelenting nerve pain due to a severe C6/C7 disc herniation. In the next couple of days, I will be scheduling an ACDF at that level with an Ortho-Surgeon that specializes in spinal work...as referred to by my PM Doc.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone else who has the same injury/disease, would have any words of advice or information to share in regard to what to expect from this med. I've taken only two doses thus far and I do feel some pain relief (especially when taken in conjunction with my usual pain med) but of course it hasn't done anything to relieve/restore the significant loss of strength in the affected arm (over 50% deficit now) since nothing other than surgery now can do so. I've had weeks of Chiropractic and PT, plus an ESI but the disc is just too far gone.

Thanks for reading folks and if you can reply with your Lyrica experience, I would greatly appreciate it! I've had no side-affects at all to make mention of, but I do realize that I'm on a very low dose and it's early-on in the treatment with it.

• I take 225mg Lyrica twice a day, and swear by it. After my back surgery, I had my first hip replaced, did so good on it I was in the pool 2 weeks later. I had been on 150 2/day but the rehab place was giving me 3 doses, and I asked my DR to up my dose. I also have Fibromyalsa tho, and it does make you gain weight. Good Luck
  • i needed a high dose {600mg x4 a day} it put 3 stone on me in 4 months and put me in to urinary retention !!! so i had to come off it ..when i stopped it i spent all weekend peeing! i felt a lot better and the nerve pain was still there even on the lyrica ..i have not been on it for over a year now but i am still over weight because drug induced weight take a long time to get shut off..i hope that you dont need to increase your present dose and i hope that it works for you ..good luck with it
  • I am currently taking 100 mg of Lyrica twice a day. I initially experienced weight gain and swelling of the hands, feet, and ankles. I can't say that it has helped me with my nerve pain significantly but I probably need to be on a higher dose to get the desired results. My doctors and I have been reluctant due to the initial side effects but are discussing increasing my dosage at this point (hopefully I won't gain any more weight). I' know that a lot of people get good results with this medication....here's hoping that you're one of them!
This discussion has been closed.