Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

10 days PO

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Wow, what a blessing this site is. It is 2:00 AM and was sleeping until pain woke me up. So many people going through EXACTLY what I am

I am experiencing alot of post surgery pain, including left arm weakness that was not here before surgery. Should I be worried about this?

The throat issues I was worrying about seem normal, thus I won't waste time worrying.

I go back to work in a week and quite frankly, that seems unlikely. I love my job. I work as ophthalmic asst. with patients. But, I am very stiff and still taking pain meds to manage pain.

Any suggestions?

• what type of surgery did you have - it would help us to know if we had the same - i haven't had any - but thought this may help out in getting responses.

don't worry about next week, until next week gets here....from different surgeries (not back) - it is amazing the changes from one day to the next....so don't go to far out. I am not sure when you need to speak to your employer, but as you get closer, perhaps then you can make them aware of what you are able to do.

take care - and welcome
  • I had an ACDF, C4-5, C5 -6 fused. Sorry, still trying to put this info on my signature...by the end of today, hopefully, I will have figured it out.
  • i had the same surgery nov 13 i went back to work as a mailman march 2nd. most of my pains have gone, left arm aches sometimes but thats all. dont take any meds. there are days i feel great. then if its rainy i ache a little. my neck hurt for several weeks in the shoulder area. had my daughter rub it daily and it cleared up. so give it time.
  • Thank you cliffy for your response. I am glad you are back up and running. I believe your job is more physically strenuous then mine, so even better.

I am scheduled to go back to work on Monday. Today is the 1st day I am seeing my surgeon after the surgery (after I left the hospital that is). I am resisting the urge to hit him with "WHY CAN'T I LIFT MY RIGHT ARM?", when he walks in.

I am also resisting the urge to cry, something I DON'T want to do.

Today should be interesting. I am driving for the 1st time in about 10 minutes, so I have had to go light on the pain meds. I am leaving early to give myself plenty of time. I'll write more when I get back in.
  • Are you in a hard collar? I have read many times that the hard collar causes pain and muscle issues.

I had ACDF c4 to c7 March 26 and have been in a soft collar. I work from home and started back after two weeks. I have had very little pain or any issue really. Some bad days, but nothing like before.

I hope your appointment goes well!
  • What is the deal with this collar, soft collar hard collar. Why isnt there any studies showing results with soft collar vs Miami or other hard collars. I saw 3 surgeons and the neurosurgeon who does not do any ADR just ACDF's said I have to wear a hard collar for 4 weeks. the other two ortho docs who do ADR and ACDF's said they recommend a soft collar for 4 weeks. It seems it is to the discretion of the surgeon and not for any real reason. They say after the screw and plate the bones are pretty tight and the collar does'nt add much.
    Any comments?
  • johanna said:
    Today is the 1st day I am seeing my surgeon after the surgery (after I left the hospital that is). I am resisting the urge to hit him with "WHY CAN'T I LIFT MY RIGHT ARM?", when he walks in.
    HOLY SH"T..........AHHHH.!!!!...everytime I come on this board I get scared out of surgery....