Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 days post op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Post op seems to be a hot topic around here. I am 8 days post op. I am still having trouble swallowing but the spot just about where your neck attaches to your back seems like there is a constant knife stabbing me there and shoulders ache. Is this normal for 8 days post op? I am taking soma and percoset timely. Namaste lisalee

• Hi Lisa!!

I'm 3 weeks post-op, and I still feel like I have a lump in my throat, but it's much better than what it was!!! I, too, also had pain at the bottom of my neck (surgery was c5/c6 level) and is still tender to the touch, but that also has got better. All in time, my dear!!! Good luck with your recovery!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Well, I have followed my post op instructions to a tee! Just never had this much pain after surgery, the swallowing seems to be better, unless I eat something other than liquid. Mine was C5-C6 and C6-C7 fused. Thanks, Namaste lisalee
  • I had C5-6 & C6-7 done in October. It took a couple of months for my throat to feel normal again. I lived on soup, pudding and yogurt for a number of weeks. That and pain meds. :D
  • Thanks, I have tried to ween myself off the pain meds and I am not very successful. I really believe the muscle relaxer is doing better but what is really hurting is my upper mid back just at the base of the neck. How long is this suppose to last? Namaste lisa lee
  • Sweetie, Don't try to do without your pain meds yet. You need to stay ahead of the pain. Your upper mid back probably hurts from the position you were put in for the surgery. Those muscle spasms can last for a good long while. Soft foods are the best, or very tiny tiny pieces of food, chewed a lot. You have to remember also, since they did 2 levels, that your muscles now have to stretch over that fusion site. Your muscles are used to moving just one disc level, now they have to be stretched. You will feel better soon. Hang in there, every day should be better than the day before.

Gentle hugs