Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good News - Alittle Hope

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
I was going to put this in the good news section but then I thought alot of people wouldnt look there!

I just want to tell alittle about my story. 2 years ago I took ill with a bad back, extreme pain with lots of medication and fatigue, tiredness, all the usual stuff people get. It was very hard for me, with not gettting any support from my family, friends, I found it hard to cope. I was however very lucky to have my boyfriend and his family.

Over a year and a half later with having to postpone my degree and having depression, things were tough.

Its now been over 2 years and I feel so much better. Although I got alot of support from my partner and help in other places, I still couldnt move on as I was in alot of pain and depression.

I attended a pain management program which taught me how to do some exercises, stretches and ways of managing the pain. Although it took a while before the stretching helped but it really has. I slowly took ymself of the medication which felt better.

Still, having depression was taking over my life and the pain was then secondary. I picked up the courage to ask the phycologist from the pain programme if I could see her to help me. 6 classes on and I have made alot of progress. It is extremly hard work, and it was so hard at the start and I actually felt worse. but now I feel so much better. I still have alot to work though but I have to have belief in myself.

I have started doing taekwondo, and started a jewellery class and trying to get out alittle more. Fresh air really does do good!

I know how difficult it is but I worked hard and im still working really hard.

Its just a note to all those that feel they cant do anythign or get anywhere. Try and do whatever exercise you can. I felt I couldnt do much and I couldnt but with progress it gets easier.

Im still sore, Im still depressed, but Im getting better and I really believe that some of you can too.

• That is great news! I am glad you found ways to alleviate your pain. You keep up what ever works for you. Just be sure that your doctors are aware and approve (to be sure you don't injure yourself).

Thank you for sharing this with us! It's always (and I mean ALWAYS) good to hear success stories.

• This is so wonderful to hear! I'm so happy for you and proud of you! I'd really like to know more about what you are doing that is helping your pain and what you learned in the program. Anything that helps someone is something I'd consider. I did tae kwon do for 9 years! :D It is a splendid sport!!! I went to a great counselor last year when I was becoming too bitter and frustrated with my situation, limitations, pain, and most of my family. My life changed drastically from doing sports, mainly gymnastics, 6 days a week for 9 years, to... well... basically nothing but struggling to work part-time, making less than I did when I was 15 after having to give up an awesome job, and trying to hard to do well in school.

So yeah, a lot of this came out in counseling and it was super-hard to acknowledge, but when I did, the burden of emotional pain was greatly eased. I'm so proud of you for knowing you needed to go and actually going! It takes a lot of guts to make the first move, and I'm soooooo happy for you! I'm even doing a happy dance in my head! :B You are going to succeed and have a life much better than before! =D> Oh goodness, it really has made my day to hear of all that you're doing for yourself. Keep up the awesome work and let us know every single time you accomplish something new! <:P I'm just so freaking happy for you! (Haha, like you haven't gotten that message by now!)

Much love and understanding,
  • This is great news!

I can use all I can get! Been riding the post surgery "where the hell am I going now" rollercoaster.

I'm glad I came up this section and saw this.

keep up the good work!
  • Hello Wingnut,

This is such wonderful news to hear. I am so very happy for you!

Wow! :)

Thank you for taking the time to share your progress with us. Reading this post... has been very inspiring! We need to hear more stories like this.

I absolutely love your attitude and admire your strength. Taekwondo and jewelry classes are a great combination! I once took kick-boxing classes with a cake decorating class on the side. I thoroughly enjoyed both of them!

Keep up the positive attitude and thanks again for sharing.

Best wishes to you!

This discussion has been closed.