Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm having a microdiscectomy on May 15 and just had my pre-op, why did they take blood and urine samples?

• Welcome to the board.

I gather you are new to surgery. I hope you have read up on the procedure you are having, so that you realize that any back surgery is a fairly big surgery.

Taking blood and urine is common practice anytime you will be going under a general anesthetic. They just want to be sure you are in good shape to withstand the stress of being put to sleep. Blood and urines tests are two ways to check your over-all health.

They run blood tests for a variety of reasons. One is to type your blood in the event you would need a transfusion during the surgery. Another is to check on the health of your kidneys. They need to know that your kidneys are functioning. Otherwise your body will not be able to clear the anesthetic from your body. They want to be sure you do not have any active infections going on.

These are a couple reasons why the tests are necessary.

Did you find the "sticky" near the top of this category that contains a long list of things you might want to have when you come home after surgery? Read through it so you will feel prepared for your recovery.

• DDUNN: The tests are "just in case." I had the same procedure on April 13 and have hit the 4 week post-op mark. It has been interesting. Be sure to PM or post with your questions. Mine was same day surgery with the option to stay overnight, if I wasn't feeling up to the car ride home. I ended up out of surgery at Noon, out of recovery by 3pm and left the hospital at 8 pm to sleep in my own bed. A very long day, but I think it was the right choice for me to go home and sleep better.