Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Surgical Pain Management

GreyEagleGGreyEagle Posts: 350
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Management
Hi everyone:

I had a 4 level cervical laminectomy on April 8th. All went well except my left arm pain has not diminished as my neurosurgeon and spine doctor had hoped. They are suspecting permanent nerve damage.

I am currently taking the following meds for my back/neck/arm pain: morphine sulphate ER 15mg 2x a day, Oxycodone HCL 5 mg 2 tablets every 4 hours as needed, Lorazepam 1mg every 4 to 6 hours as needed, Lyrica 100 mg tablets 2 tablets 2x a day.

My spine doctor is starting me on a reduction of the Lorazepam program over the next month or so. I have a specific calendar and reduction of dosages at certain times.

Other than that my spine doctor said he plans on having me off the narcotic meds within 4 months.

In the meantime my LTD Claims Manager has decided its time for me to apply for SSDI. Her Company will be processing most of the Claim for me. I've been on disability for one year.

I am a bit concerned about being taken off some of the meds since my arm pain is not likely going away and my right arm is starting to bother me. I'll probably have the same surgery for that arm within a year.

Should I be referred to a Pain Management Clinic? Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks much,

Ken GreyEagle

• Greyeagle,
    I had an acdf C6-C7 in 2004,my arm pain did not go away either.It got so bad I couldn't stretch my arm out without screaming.The numbness and weakness did improve.I ended up having shoulder surgery for impingement and rotator cup tear. While they were in there they discovered a large slap lesion.My surgeon was amazed that I had been able to deal with the pain without meds.So, I had 2 things going on at the same time,and I suffered for about 4 years before it got figured out.I mean,I couldn't wash my hair with my right hand!So ,just a thought....Sagehen
  • Some good thoughts there, sagehen. Thanks. Before the doctors ever thought my pain was coming from my cervical spine they were saying it was tendinitis. Then they suspected something going on in my elbow. I went to an elbow replacement surgeon. I had MRI and X-Rays done of my elbow. Nothing wrong there.

I had nerve conduction studies done. This is when they suspected my cervical spine. I had several MRI's over a year of my cervical spine. Definite problems there, specifically the worst at C-5 to C-6. My Neurosurgeon had a second opinion done. It was decided I needed a C-3 thru C-6 Laminectomy.

I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands about 14 yrs ago. So, I'm not sure what else it could be other than permanent nerve damage at this point. Or, it could be as my doctors said, nerve damage can take up to a year to heal.

All I can do is wait and see.

Thanks for your comments, though. I find them thoughtful and helpful.

Ken GreyEagle
  • I hope your arm pain heals. Have you tried heat on your arm? I had a great PT do some gentle stretching of my neck and it stopped the numbness and pain. I haven't had too much problems yet but I have numbness and pain and do some massage at the elbow like myofacial release. Anyways I hope it's the nerves will heal soon and it's not permanent. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN