Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

All NEW members, your first discussion needs to go through a moderator's approval process before it can be published. Please dont create duplicate discussions.

Exercises that work, for a prolapsed L1/S5 disk

AnonymousUserAnonymousUser Posts: 51,513
edited 06/11/2012 - 1:31 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hey there,
I have just gotten out of hospital where I was admitted for 4 weeks with a prolapsed L1/S5 prolapsed disk in my lower back. I was wondering if anyone out there had effective exercises that they would like to share? I have received very basic ideas from my physio, but would like to see if anyone has any magic to take away lower back pain? If you have had a good result with the same injury, I would love to hear from you. (had steroid injections but no surgery)
Thanks to anyone out there who can help, its very appreciated!
advertisement

Comments

• What I find most restful is to lay flat on the floor, arms to your side with palms facing upward. You can use a flat pillow under your head if you must. You can put a small pillow under your knees. Just lie there, do deep "belly breathing" at a slow pace for 5-10 minutes. This is a form of natural traction that allows the disks to unload and for the spine to kind of relax back into proper alignment. Do it as many times a day as fits your schedule.

Many people swear by extension exercises such as recommended by Robin McKenzie. This are supposed to kind of force the disk back into place. I could never do them because I have spondylolisthesis and any extension position is forbidden.

Use ice or heat depending on what feels good. Drink lots of water to keep your disks hydrated.