Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What to do if/when the pharmacy shorts you?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Medications
I'm pretty much going to be up crap's creek in 2-3 days. The bottle says 150, the pharmacy insists it was 150, I know for a fact that I've been taking 4-5 a day (as prescribed), not 9-10 a day. I called the doc's office, nurse doesn't think he will do anything about it but, she will talk with him and have him call me.

I didn't even check the bottle. On Saturday I noticed it was pretty low as I could see the bottom so that is when I took a count of what was left. I can only think they gave me half.

I guess after Thursday it will be withdrawl-city for me. Oi!

This is the first time I've ever had this happen. I never even thought it possible as they circle the number indicating a second count. WTF?

• But I noticed it when I opened the bottle at home. They shorted me 30 pills but I went back right away and was lucky enough to get it straightened out. So, I always check before I leave the pharmacy. Hope things work out for you. Can't imagine not having any pills when you need them. I will say a prayer for you
  • I was on 180 per 30 days for about 3 months pre-op. Then I began tapering down the last couple of months post-op. I was down to 90 per 30 days when I had a real bad lumbar flare up that the doc decided to treat with pain meds before sticking me with needles again.

• I never ever thought about counting meds until I read about it on this site. And sure enough - once I started counting, I found out I was getting shorted! Just like 2 pills a month. But I called right away both times and I told them they should (1) have 2 extra in their "jar" that belongs to me or (2)screwed up on my AND someone elses script or (3) have a thief. Never heard back either time. So finally I went down there and made them put a note on my file in the computer that my pain script was to be double counted and initialed by the second counter every single month. That way if I was short I could report a specific name. They agreed to that. I haven't been shorted since.

• It happened to me also and I called the pharmacy immediately. Of course I noticed this well into my month's supply but at least I noticed it. The pharmacy called me back and told me that they took inventory checked the register, checked supplies and there wasn't one pill off. I thought to myself wow, they did alot of stuff to find 4 pills. Someone had taken them from me but still, the pharmacy went nuts trying make it all right and I really appreciated that. I think that if you leave a pharmacy with CII meds, that's it. If you come back later and tell them you were shorted, there's nothing they can do. You must count them right then and there and preferably in front of one of the personnel otherwise, you're wasting your time.
  • i was shorted just 1 time. but the rx called me before i even got home and left me a message on machine saying he accidently shorted me 15 morphine, and i could come by and pick up the rest anytime. i think it resulted cuz dr increased amount by 15, he was not used to it, and the writting on script was very small.

ive heard of this problem for others tho and 1 thing ive heard recomended is to go to the quiet consult area and ask rx guy to be with u when u count your meds in front of him to make sure amount is correct, once u leave store its too late. however often they can do a pill count of there inventory and see if its an honest mistake. heres to hoping all our meds are in the bottle, bottoms up.
  • i count my pills AT the pharmacy, in their waiting area chairs. They don't mind, and it saves a million headaches. Some of them like Soma, I can tell just looking if it's right or not, but that's my suggestion. Other than that, the pharmacy can't help you; all you can do is call your PM, explain the situation, and ask if there is some way they can help you out. Good luck!

best wishes,