Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a great deal of pain when I lean against objects or push on my fusion hardware at L5-S1. I have been told that it slowly goes away but 9 months out and I still have it. It feels like a hot burning knife at the site and pain down my legs.
2003 L3-L5 Laminectomy
2005 L3-L5 AP FUSION (no cages) bone graft and femur disc
1/2008 L2-L3 AP FUSION (no cages) bone graft and femur disc-removed original hardware
9/2008 L5-S1 AP FUSION (no cages) bone graft and femar disc

• I'll tell you what my dad would say -

If it hurts when you push on it - well then, don't push on it! LOL!!

Actually, I am having almost the same problem -

I'm about 10 mo. post op and if I push on the screws I get a stabbing pain down my leg and the leg literally melts under me, it just folds like you had a Vulcan grip on it.

My NS says to consider having the hardware removed. I'm still considering.

Do you also have a severe constant backache? I think I'm getting mine from the hardware as well - it increases if I've been sitting on hard-backed chairs or if I've done something that increases the rubbing of muscles over screw-heads.