Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 weeks post op ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my 6 wk appt with my surgeon today & everything looks good. X-rays show I'm fusing well. Still having some muscle pain but PT is helping & now that I can do more exercises myself I'm sure it will improve more rapidly. Numbness & tingling continues to improve & he said it can keep getting better up to a year. Honestly, I could easily live with that part as it is now.

I no longer have to wear my collar :D I can drive :D :D Actually, I had to drive to my appt cause my scheduled ride got messed up & the cab I called didn't show for so long I was afraid I was gonna miss my appt. Sooo, I took off the collar & drove myself. I will be returning to work full time (4 10 hour days/week) on May 25th with restrictions on lifting....15 lbs. Unfortunately, 2 of my coworkers have back to back vacations when I return so there will be no "easing" back into it. Plus I take on-call so those 10 hour days may turn into much longer if we have emergencies. I'm just going to stay positive, be REALLY careful with what I do at work & ask for help when I need it...something I have not done in the past which is probably why I got so messed up in the first place :P

Have a great day!

• Congrats on your recovery! And a super-congrats on getting rid of your collar! I know how that feels!!

(This is the pot calling the kettle black, but...) Remember to take it easy at work. Go as slow as you can and rely on other when necessary.

Hang in there!!

• Thanks. I slept without my collar last night & it felt great! I had thought I would be scared that I'd move the wrong way after having it as a security blanket for 6 wks but I was very comfortable.

I am determined to learn when to say no at work...very hard for me to do but necessary. I am so thankful that I have done well...I'm not going to mess it up!

How are you feeling? Have you had x-rays yet?
  • Hi Joanne...

I had xrays at 2 weeks and 6 weeks post op. They said everything looks fine and that it looks like fusion is starting to take place. Yeah!!

I am feeling OK. Rainy days are miserable! I am back to work and boy, do I get tired!! But I think overall things are going very well!

Take care,
  • Seems we all had the surgery around the same time and its so good to hear that everyone is doing well!!

You can add me to the list!

I've been driving myself to work all week and feel good, though every once in awhile there is a "shouldn't have done that" moment.

Going for my first xrays this week...so hopefully this lack of pain implies fusing!
  • ACDF C5-6 on April 6th and doing pretty well. I definitely over did it by returning to work 2 weeks post-op. I really didn't realize how much I bob my head while on the computer and talking to people! Working more than 4-5 hours as a social worker is just not possible. I can't imagine 10 hours a day providing nursing care! Thank-you all for sharing it really helps to hear some positive comments as most of what I have read has been doom and gloom.
  • I am a little nervous about returning to work but I'm trying to prepare for it. I'm doing more around the house to see how it goes. Worse case scenario, I go back, can't handle it & my surgeon puts me off again. I don't have to do a ton of lifting in my area. I am on my feet 99% of the day but at least that's better than sitting...which is the worst position for me. I hope it works out...I'm bored to death at home :)))

Everyone keep up the good work. It's great to see so many people recovering well.
  • Great attitude. I am learning that being up and on my feet is better as well. What I don't understand is what does the pain I feel mean? Is it me over doing it thus causing swelling then pain or that there is already swelling and over doing it exacerbates the swelling thus causing pain. Or is it something else altogether? Fortunately, I see my surgeon on Tuesday. Since I elected to be in a study there is some added stress due to the unknown. I have to keep reminding myself to baby step! Good luck on returning to work!
  • That's great your healing well! Do take care at work. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN