Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jasrojjasro Posts: 224
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
Once again, I woke up gasping from pain this morning. But I finally figured out a good description of it and wanted to find someone here who could advise me.

When I was in physical therapy two years ago, the therapist asked me to lie on my stomach then prop myself up on my elbows. (Like kids do when lying on the floor watching tv) After about 60 seconds in that position...my entire spine was screaming. (I assume he wanted me to be in that position to 'open up' discs.)

When I wake up now, I feel like I've held that exact position the entire 7-8 hours of sleeping. It's crippling pain. Gasping pain. My mattress is a good one. I've tried to sleep on my side in the fetal position to avoid straightening out on my back - even using pillows behind me...but I somehow always end up on my back. I've tried to think of ways to strap a bungie cord around me so I don't roll at night.

Any suggestions as to what this pain might be from? And can anyone suggest a way for me to sleep? I've tried sleeping on the couch...but it limits my ability to move which causes pressure neuropathy on whichever side I'm stuck on.

thanks in advance.

• The pain is most severe in my middle back tho' i've
    never had an mri on that part. (and can't see paying
    for one.)
  • Have you tried sleeping on your back with your legs elevated? I know you do not want to sleep on your back but elevating your legs may stop the pain.
    That is what I had to start doing to sleep on my back without back pain. I piled pillows up at the foot of my bed and lay with my legs on them. You want to support your legs from the hip down to take pressure off your spine. It works for me.
    Best to you.
    Hugsssss >:D<
    Patsy W
  • A little experiment :B :Standing up- lean backwards. See how far you can get before you have pain. I know exactly what you are describing. I have a problem leaning backwards, also called extension. I don't have the energy to completely describe the feeling because I'm working on 48 sleepless hours of pain, but I understand. Sometimes it even feels like someone socked me in the middle back/lower lungs all night or that that area is badly bruised, but once I move around for a while, it all goes away. The best way to sleep, as Patsy said, is to lie on your back with a bunch of pillows under your legs. If you can, try having your legs at a 90 degree angle. If not, just a couple pillows will do. Make sure your ankles and feet are supported by the pillows too, not just your knees, or it won't really help the problem we have. I've heard this could be caused by facet problems or disc problems, but since I have both, I couldn't tell you which it is for me!

Good luck, I hope you start sleeping better!

Much love and understanding,
  • Have you got a memory foam topper or mattress? I had the same pain when I had my old posturepedic (Yeah right) bed. With air beds or memoryfoam it's really esy on the back. I've had facet joint injections that have really helped with pain in back and better movement also. Good luck try the pillow between your legs on your side. Hope you feel better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I've tried the pillows under my legs...I'm going to hang with that for a while. It's so hard to sleep like that...but will see if I can get better used to it. Can't use the recliner because too much pressure on my tailbone.

Thanks so, so much.
  • They told me at PT yesterday that I have extreme cervical spine Hypermobility...

Im sad because I know this is very, very, bad...
This discussion has been closed.