Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Single class drug test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain

My doctor gave me a drug test at my last prescription pick up, and I was alittle confused on the price. I have no health insurance and pay out of pocket for all my treatment
The drug test my doctor gives me every month is $110.00 but this last one was $330.00, WOW! What type pf drug test is this that would cost so much. I know it said on the bill "single class" drug test. I am putting myself through college and have trouble affording the $110.00 test.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this single class drug test and what it would be for?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• All I cant think of is maybe it tests for more within a class of drugs.

• Single class means they're using a test that only checks one type of drug - for example, it might check for opiates or barbiturates or amphetamines, but not all 3 at once. My doctor uses single class when he's testing to make sure people are taking their meds and multiple class when he's testing to see if they're taking something in addition.

That price does seem quite high for a single test. Does your bill have a quantity noted on it? Maybe he tested for multiple drug types using a single class test for each group? I'd call whoever does the billing and ask for an explanation - and a discount.

When I had insurance, it paid $52 for a drug screen and I didn't have to pay anything. After I lost my insurance, I was billed $180. I called and asked why the exact same test was $52 when I had insurance, but $180 when I didn't. I actually asked the girl if losing my health insurance made by urine more difficult to process... she tripped over her answer for a minute, then she re-billed it for the $52. ;)
  • She said the doctor does this about every 6 months to a year to make sure you are taking the meds. I am aware that people sell their meds, "money=greed", but for me I need my meds to calm my pain just enough to go through my everyday routine, and maybe a smile:) so as far as this goes I am alright because 1.I take my meds, and 2.I would never even consider selling them. I get just enough "down to the day" before the next refill. All of the people selling their meds out there are really costing us so much money at the doctors office they should find another way to make money. And if they are on disability and selling their meds, maybe they should not be on disability or given the meds they sell for profit.

How do you guys feel about this.
  • Its just another example of people ruining it for the rest of the actual chronic pain patients out there. Because of drug addicts, doctors are weary to prescribe medications. Because of selfish greedy people, we have to prove we are taking our meds and not selling them.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I agree with both of you. I don't take any 'strong' meds. My doctor doesn't prescribe them. But I agree that drug addicts and those who sell them make it hard for chronic pain suffers. I wish there was a simple answer to the problem. Anyone know of one??

• You guys have been wonderful with the responses and support.
  • Don't take it personally; my understanding is docs that prescribe large quantities of controlled substances (most pain management doctors) do periodically have to test patients to monitor that patients are taking their meds as prescribed, and also for any others that might be prescribed by other doctors. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe some of these policies are required by the DEA, some may be recommended by their malpractice carriers depending on what the "standard of care" is in your state or area. I would just respectfully ask why the difference in price (are they using a different lab, is it a more thorough test etc.)
This discussion has been closed.