Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Inquiry regarding ADR @ C6-C7

arodigaarodig Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My first post I inquired about an ACDF at C6 and C7. I went to my treating physican after the appt. with the surgeon. He is recommending a artifical disk replacement instead of the ACDF. Has anyone had a ADR at C6 & C7 recently and how is your recovery. Were there any complications if so what. How is your recovery time and limitations if any (i.e. old limitations compared to new limitations). I am in law enforcement with the intent to return to my job. I am very active especially with kids in sports and I do not want to miss out. I go see the surgeon in a couple of weeks and would like more input from anyone that has the ADR procedure recently. This will help me ask the right questions. Thank you for your time and knowledge.

• I had 3 level ADR, one of which was C6/7 and I felt immediate relief. It took me 2.5 months to be fully recovered to where its like I was before I even had neck problems. For most, ADR will be a much faster recovery than Fusion and personally, I dont like the number of fusion complications I am reading on these boards compared to the lack of ADR complications. Fusion can be a very long road of recovery, be ready for that if you choose that route.
    From what Im reading, seems to me that fusion only works 50% of the time, then you need future surgeries about 30% of the time. Thats my 2 wons worth : )
  • On 9/02/09 I had an ADR at C6&7 the surgery lasted approxiamtley 2.5 hours which started about 1400 hrs and back in room after recovery @1830 hrs. I felt releif immediatetly and was up walking around 2200 hours. I was sent home from the hospital the following afternoon.

I feel really good and appear to have more energy including less pain in arms. The doctor said everything went well and he also removed bone fragments that were pushing againest my spine. The x-ray is also impressive especially because there is no metal plate or screws holding my vertibrates together. I have two other bad disk in my neck and hopefully with the ADR I will be less likely to have surgery compared to the possibilites of a second surgery after a fusion.
  • Great News, what kind of disc did you get?
  • On 09/02/09 my doctor utilized a Synthes Prodisc: Prodisc C replacement. Since the surgery I take it easy and I am not allowed to drive. I go to my Dr. on 10/08/09 for follow up so far there are no complications. I can go for walks and move around. I am able to turn my head left to right and down but not straight up at the moment (per Drs. Order). The pain and numbness in my left arm appears to be gone or at least very less then what it was.

I have numerous friends who have had their necks fused and I am glad to be fortunate and meet the criteria and receiving the Pro Disc C.

Thank you for your support and inquiries.