Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laminectomy L5 S1

aggaagg Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Exercise and Rehab
HI Im just looking for a little insight. I herniaed a disc 7wks. ago. The four weeks after that i had severe pain down my left leg. Numb foot weak lower leg and then loss of bladder countrol. I had a laminectomy of L5S1 3 wks ago. I feel much better than before. I had a very large herniated disc with 95% of fluid outside my disc. I feel like I am alone. My doc tells me to do a little if I can take it. The problem I have is that I can take a lot. The pain doesn't bother me as long as I know that it isn't going to hurt me further. They (docs and nurses) tell me not to work for another 2 wks. I feel like I can. I need advice please from anyone with similar experiences. Thanks for reading, and I'm thankful for all the great posts I have read.

• agg, you're not alone. i remember how frustrating it is to want to be able to do more than your body will alow. don't push it though. you will have good days and bad days. i think that the timing of you go back to work will depend on what kind of work you do. what type of work do you do?
  • I work on a dairy farm. I have been able to do simple office work, but I much rather be outside working. You're right good days and bad days. The bads days help to remind me that I need to take things slow. Lilcowgirl? Are you a farmer?
  • no, but my uncle owns a farm and i used to spend a lot of time there so i know how hard the work can be. office work should be fine. i have an office job too. i'm lucky because i have the flexibility to get uyp and stretch when i need to. take it easy! don't get too down!
  • Please follow the advice of your medical team. You really need to be careful until you heal or you will be right back where you started several months ago. Even though you are feeling well, your spine has not had a chance to heal.. Particularly in the L5-S1 area, which takes the brunt of the body's movement, you need to be careful. In that location, it is almost like having a cut on your knuckle. Every time you use your hand, the cut has a tendency to pop open, or at least, to stretch. It will heal much faster if you can keep that cut knuckle immobilized for a few days, so it can close up.

With that L5-S1 disk, you need to limit your movement so that you are not constantly stretching the soft tissue, the incision, etc. There is a fine line between doing enough to keep scar tissue from forming, to keep the soft tissue healthy, etc. and not doing too much so that you aggravate the disk. So be sure to follow doctor's orders!!
  • good advice. the problem i have is that my doc has told me to do some stretches but not which ones to do. i asked about pt but they said i don't need it right now. i'm about 4 wks post op and doing ok. i just put a call in to my doc to get some answers. i'm scared of doing something to hurt the progress i have made. they don't seem to have to many answers but i guess that could be because all cases are different and there are no set rules. i hope you're doing well and thanks for the reply. take care!
  • Agg,
    I was in the same place last July-I am still unable to do many things as my body slowly heals. I measure my progress in months not weeks or days. I am still unable to to toe rasies or walk full speed. I walk with alimp and the feeling has yet to return but if I look back 3months, 6 months, 9 months I am slowly getting somewhere. Don't push or rush. Others? where are you 12 months, 16 months out?
  • Hi there, My story seems so familiar to yours as I feel awesome now...but my story began about 6 months ago I had a terrible pain in lower back and then sneezed and it felt like my spine shattered inside. I was walking like a hunch back and because I a contractor and w/o health insurance, I had to exhaust alternate therapy. I went to chiropractors (provided some relief), yoga instructors, bought an inversion board. Suddenly the pain no longer was in my back but had creeped into my left hip and then progressed behind my thigh and left knee. Within weeks it was throughout my entire left leg with stabbing in my ankle, slicing behind my knee and a constant charlie horse in my calf and could barely feel my toes. Driving was a joke b/c it took me an hour to get 20 minutes away, constantly getting out of the car and praying to God to make it stop... After 4 months of this I finally had to go to the ER b/c the Advil just wasn't doing it and I tried the ice and the heat and anything anyone told me what might help besides jumping out a window...so to the ER($1,400 bill later) the doc acctually told me to quit my job as I would be better off...in NY if you make over 2000 a month before taxes you make too much for health insurance and you would have to pay approx 1500/month for it....anyway, I did quit my 65k job, started working at Retail for 10 bux an hour to finally get help...after this 6 month process...I finally got an MRI May 18th and they rushed me into surgery as I had a severe herniation L5/S1 that needed to be cut out and what was left,back in...This happened Friday the 22nd. Immediately as I woke up I felt relief (and groggy) but started crying b/c the pain had finally left. The Nurse Anesthetist said the last thing I said before going out was that my surgeon was the best...and I feel like he was. It has only been 5 days and I feel like I can do more than I should. It just feels tight where the incision is and I feel sore for some reason like I was in a car accident...muscles in my neck and arms feel achy? My dilemma is that a great job that I really want is asking me to start asap...like June 8th if possible...I feel like it has to be okay. I get my stitches out this Friday...I am a medical esthetician and feel I can handle the work. I am hoping that my doctor will allow me to start but obviously would do ANYTHING to avoid that insane torture and would wish it on no one! Thank you for sharing your recovery story and how wonderful you ware feeling so quickly...I thought I was maybe a little crazy for feeling so great so quick!

I love this site too as my boyfriend just didn't understand what I was going through and he was just frustrated he couldn't help or relate. Same with friends, bosses, family, and peers. I hope everyone has a great night sleep tonight and wakes up even just a little better then the day before!!

• did you have surgery ckpapa? my wife had L5L4 surgery 3 yrs ago and it took her about 1.5 yrs to feel better. she still has pain but its manageable. sorry to here about your slow recovery. i can say that walking did help me alot. i guess so far im one of the lucky few to be doing so well only 5 1/2 weeks after surgery. i hope everythig goes well for you. take care.
  • kaitlyn,
    great to hear you're doing so well. i to had almost instant relief of my symptoms after surgery. 5 1/2 week after surgery now and i'm back to work but still only doing about 60% of what i could do before. im afraid to push to hard and ruin the progress i have made. take it easy. try not to do to much for the first few weeks eventhough you feel better. the incision and muscles need to heal properly. i walk about 2 miles a day and i think that has helped me recover quickly. i hope you continue to do well. take care.
  • Agg, I did have surgery...it was scheduled in a hurry. I lost feeling and strength in my groin, leg and backside on a Sunday. I was able to get an urgent appointment with spine specialst on Monday and 3pm, MRI at 4 scheduled by 5pm due to the massive bulge and the trauma the nerves were under. I was told by MRI staff they never saw anything like it. The pain I felt was like nothing I ever experienced before. I did not loose bladder control but was on my way to. i am getting some strength and feeling back but no where close to 100% I had one flare-up in january that took me 6 weeks to shake but other than that its been pain free, hurry up and wait for everything to wake up. Do you have all of your feeling back yet?