Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI Question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Did your NS/OS ever read your MRI results differently than the radiologist's report? The assistant in my NS's office made a comment that got me curious. I'm wondering if this is a common occurence.

Thank you for reading.

• The Radiologist said disk herniation c5-c6 c6-c7. They sent me to a top notch neurosurgeon and they sent in an intern to check me out while the surgeon was reading my MRI. He came in and said there's nothing on your MRI other then maybe shadow on your spine probably from a bad MRI. He said no real surgeon would touch me. He then sent me for another MRI and wrote a letter to my clinic doctor and told her that he was right, nothing on the new MRI. They sent me to see him one more time after physical therapy. He looked through the MRI with me and said I do see an impingment at C6-C7 but I wish this MRI were more clear. He then said we'll send you for a C7 nerve block and if it clears up your symptoms we should consider a posterior foraminotomy. It worked for about 22 hours so they decided I needed the surgery and then did C7-T1, the wrong level, or so it still seems. The surgeon is top notch, head of neurosurgery at a major hospital. Sorry for the long post but yes an MRI can be read different by different people. Good luck to you. Paul
  • I also had similar situation . I had an MRI in Feb 2009 and i brought the old disc for radiologist to do contrast.His report stated that the herniation was similar to the old one at C6-C7, my surgeon said it is a new herniation and looks bigger than old one.
  • Hi. Thanks for your responses!

I posted this question out of pure curiosity. Now it seems that it may have a real world application. UGH. So confusing. My ortho sees a ruptured disc where the radiologist saw all this other stuff. The ortho didn't have access to my MRI and I kind of felt like he was winging it.

Luckily I do get to go to the NS who did an ACDF on my c5,c6 in 2004. I think he will put the matter to rest.

Thanks for reading!