Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Problems

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Pain Management
Be careful. I had a Medtronic Infusion Pump installed in May 2004 and I have been on a ride. I have had 3 surgeries because of the catheter. In 2006 I had a granuloma and mass removed. Prior to surgery I complaint to my doctor for about 6 months with the symptoms of problems - constipation, pain in the area of the catheter and plainly not feeling well at all. In 2007 the catheter was found to be stuck for I was feeling it. Now 2009 the catheter has separated where it enters the spinal canal. After taking a recent CT scan I learned a catheter in stuck in spine. At present my pump isn't working. The morphine is dumping in my muscles. I am expericing the worst pain in the middle of my back right below the shoulder blades.

I confront my head pain management doctor yesterday, he advised me it was there and it would require major surgery to remove it. I am mad for no one told me that before. Here I was thinking it just happen. I am so sick of this pump. What more do I have to go through.

When I called Metronics they advised me, that some people bodies and bone structure isn't a fit for their pump. Why can't they advise the public that when they are trying to make a decision. Their point is the doctor should tell you. Come on, I personally know that isn't working. So what do I do? My options are leaving things the way they are, take out the equipment or fit the catheter. What options. Because of the granuloma it had me in a wheel chair and now on a cane. My right side is weak. I have been in therapy for over 3 years just to get back on my feet.

I am only 54 years old and my spirit tells me to read the handwritting on the wall. I am going to take PT again to help with the back pain, I am going to cut back on pain meds and see if I can do without to have the pump permantely removed.
advertisement

Comments

• I am so sorry you are going thru so much he%#!!
    I can't believe they did not warn you of the problems assoiated with the pain pump! That was so wrong of your pain Doc. What the devil is wrong with hem?? When they work properly they are good but that is always not the case with the pain pump.So many things can go wrong and you should have been told about them.
    I talked to my PM Doctor about a pain pump and he will only implant them as a last resort for an end of life patient. He told me all the problems that one can have with them, they just aren't worth the risks.
    He is doing my SCS implant and b'coz he was honest with me I trust hem.
    I am sure you no longer trust your Doctor and I can't blame you.
    Best of luck to you ladybug. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Sending you a hug... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • hi;my pm dr wants me to try the pain pump.he change my meds last month to morphin.i don;t like the morphine at all its not working to well.the dr said he will up my morphine from 15mgx2 to 30x3 a day plus BT med 2x15 morphine ir.said try this for 4 mo.i dought that i will get the pain pump,don;t trust them.i go for and mri next week.back has gotten worse,three weeks ago a shot broke on me.anyway i hope u get to feeling better.
  • see what other options are there for you and what the continued risks ar versus removal risks.

Also, are they able to say fairly confidently that the pump catheter is the cause of your pain and not a newish say, disc problem??

I am sorry to hear you plight. I hope you find a resolve soon. I know what it like to be in pain every day with hope after hope dashed.
  • My options are 1. Do nothing...just leave things the way they are and continue to put saline in the pump 2. Fix the catheter 3. Remove the pump and its equipment. My choice is number 3. I am tired. I am so tired. I have been taking 1 - 2 pain pills every other day. But worst experience is spasms in mostly my right leg and the pain in my back around my rib cage (they think it is from the granuloma was taken out).

As far as the part of the catheter that stuck in my spine they feel it is too risky. The risk is too high.

• You are right. It is hard to trust my doctors right now. 1. I didn't know all the side effects (that's how I got the granuloma). Even though I complain over a year about certain things, they played me off. It was only when I couldn't walk at all did anyone did anything. As today, my right side is weak and thank God I am now using a walking cane. 2. I wasn't told until recently I had a cathether left in me and I still don't which surgery it was done. 3.
    As far as Medtronic - they are really playing the role of studpidity. They say in the doctor's responsbility. But they have a web page and when you read it, it really bush over side effects and possibities but they really highlights key points. I have complaint to them about this and they just say they are working on things.
  • You poor wee love, what a terrible time you are having. I am so sorry, the choices you have really aren't ideal but if you are happy with choice 3 and your doctors agree you "go for it". Feeling tired of being tired is a real downer. All I can offer is my biggest gentle Hugs n' Loves-which won't really make you better but maybe for a moment know people really care for you. - Paula
  • Thank you for your input. I surely appreciate it.

Yes, I am doing my homework.

advertisement