Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Shoe lift required

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a copy of my medical records sent to me from my (L4,L5,S1)anterior/posterior fusion surgery. I just realized that on my 6 week post op appointment, the surgeon had notice that I have a 3/4 inch difference between my left and right leg. He had recommended a shoe lift to correct this.

Has anyone had or heard of something like this?

I never got a shoe lift and I am wondering, 5 years later, if this may be contributing to some of my increased pain?

• I'm a little confused. Am I correct in reading that your surgery was five years ago and you are reading the surgery reports now that mention the discrepancy in the length of your legs? That is how I interpreted what you wrote.

First, it is common, or, at least, not unusual to have one leg longer than the other. My brother-in-law is a golf pro. Years ago he had a discectomy. During his recovery, the physical therapist noticed that one leg was about a half-inch longer. She put a lift in his shoe and it made a big difference in how he felt.

This discrepancy can make a big difference in that it can cause some overcompensation in the way you hold one side of the body. This results in extra stress on the various ligaments, muscles, etc. which can effect the structure of the spine.

Do you have a PT that you could ask about this, or a chiropractor or a pedorthist? Maybe you'll get lucky and have a simple solution for your back pain....
  • Gwennie

Yes u have read it correct. My surgery was done in Alaska and I now live in Oklahoma. I never had the oppurtunity to read the surgeons report. With the pain getting worse and worse, I am trying to find answers.

Thank u for your post,

• Gwennie is correct I know a woman who fractured her lower leg bones in a crushing injury. Several surgeries and pins later they got it healed. She had to do a LOT of recovery work and due to the fracture one leg was shorter than the other. She was fitted with a lift to level things out.

I also was in a PT place and they were treating a person for the same issue.

Without the lift your pelvis tilts and loads the bottom of your spine causing curvature and disc issues, muscle issues, etc,

Physical Thearapists are the best bet to have this worked on. After 5 years you will need therapy to get things back on track. Your muscles will complain, your discs will complain, etc,

If you have insurance I would recomend you get a referral if needed and see a PT. You may be able to use a Chiro too.

Hope this helps.
  • I had a 5 level lumbar fusion L-1 thru S-1 with rods and screws on May 1 2008. I have been to physical therapy with 2 different therapists. They both say I need a lift in my shoe. One even called my surgeon. He says that is not the problem with my on going pain. Now I have been diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis of the spine and feet. (after years of Dr. saying my feet hurting was from my back) I have started on methotrexate. It is a chemo drug but taken in low doses is for psoriatic arthritis,and lupus. I see the Dr. on the 28th if he will not perscribe the lift I will see another Dr. I just know some day all this will come together and I will be pain free!!