Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bad painful neck

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
The muscles on the sides of my neck and down into shoulders get notted up and painful after I exercise. Would ice after exercise help me or am I supposed to use heat? Streching exercises dont seem to help.
Any ideas?

• Hi hurstbrookes,

Welcome to spine-health. As far as what would be better depends on the pain generator itself. If it is nerve related ice seems to work best for me. Now if the pain is muscle related heat does help. You need to get the muscles relaxed before the stretching will help. Good luck and welcome to spine-health.
  • I have exactly the same problem, leading to awful head/ neck aches, sore shoulders, sleep problems etc.
    My diagnosis was cervical arthritis, and when pain was stopping me from sleeping my GP referred me to a pain Dr, who suggested steroid injections. Had about 11 sets of these over 3 years, with some but patchy and inconsistent relief.
    This dr retired recently so I found a new one.
    He examined my neck- a first for any of my doctors-and found that I had very tight, sore neck muscles, and as the x-rays didn't show any real nerve impingement he said that my neck pains were most likely muscular in origin.
    This sounded very likely as I've had muscle tension problems for so many years, mainly from too much computer work.
    He referred me to a clinical physio, and one of the treatments that he put me onto was remedial massage.
    And what a difference that has made!
    My shoulder blades were a real mess, with knots and odd things happening. After a few weeks of regular massages to neck and shoulders, my neck pains have virtually disappeared.
    So many doctors and patients concentrate only on the joints and nerves, and ignore the muscles. Yet muscles are vital for any movement, and can also cause spinal problems, so must be included in any pain management program.
    So for you, try a heat or a cold pack, whichever you prefer, take some muscle relaxants and pain killers, then find yourself a remedial masseuse and have some regular treatments. You should get immediate relief, then more and more as the knots are sorted out.
    Your neck pain, if the same as mine, is actually stemming from your shoulders.
    So simple yet so effective.