Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

after c1 c2 surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
i've had my c1 c2 surgery on 16 march. i had screws, wires n titanium to stabilise my c1 c2. i had to wear a big collar after surgery for a week. after that i changed to a hard collar and i had to wear it for a week. i would like to ask how long will it takes to move my neck more to the sides and up and down. i currently can move my neck to left a bit, up and down but i just can't move to the right. when i move my neck to the right, it looks like my head is tilting. i've asked my doctor about it, he said it's normal and i can move my neck more after 3 months of surgery. he said i can only move a bit now and don't stretch too much.
may i know how u all exercise your neck after removing the collar? can u all move ur neck like normal now?
hope to see reply soon n sorry for the bad english..

p/s: my head is slanting to the left before surgery. my head is still slanting to the left but just a little now. may i know anyone experience this before?

• Finally! Someone who has had C1-2 fusion! From all the research I have done about this fusion, it will be many months to recovery so don't rush it!!! Movement will be permanently restricted in all directions - each person is different and range of motion varies.

I would like to know why you had the surgery. Was this for trauma, rheumatoid arthritis???

Can I ask about how old you are (general range) and where you had your surgery? I would not want it done by someone who does only 1 a year.

Thanks for any information you can share - you can pm me if you prefer.
  • Do u mean that i can't move more like normal even though after many months of recovery? i just can't move to the right now. I'm worry that i can't move to right in the future.

I move my head to the left when i woke up, then i heard crack sound on my neck so i thought i had sprained my neck. My head started to slant to the left. i have seek some doctors but i still haven't recover after 3week . So, i went for mri scan and ct scan, it shows that my bone had rotated.

i'm 23 this year and i had my surgery in Sunway Medical Hospital in Malaysia. My doctor had done many surgeries before and this doctor is a good and very experience doctor.

So, u had c1-2 fusion too? if yes, how is your neck now? Can u move like normal now? Do u still will hear pop sound in your neck?
    i'm sorry for asking so many questions, hope u don't mind ^_^ oh ya and thanks for your reply.
  • No, I haven't had the surgery. Before I can direct you to some online information, I would ask again why you needed this surgery. Do you know which 'bone had rotated.?' Your surgeon should be able to explain why this happened and if he recommends a second surgery. Have you done a google search for atlantoaxial anatomy so you will better understand this unique part of the cervical spine?

But from everything I have read so far, you will not be able to move your head as you normally would prior to injury/surgery. C1-2 is what allows you to turn your head side to side. If it is fused in place, then you can't turn your head like you used to.

I would suggest that you make a list of questions and talk with your surgeon about these concerns. I'm truly sorry that you are in distress.
  • Hey guys, cant help much cause I have the same questions, but lemme put my 2 cents in...
    I'm 20 years old, fractured my c2 while body surfing in Laguna Beach Calif. had anterior surgery, where they put a screw through my c2, went 5 months in an aspen collar and my bone never healed together. Nov. 20th 2010 I had a posterior c1/2 fusion using 2 rods, 4 screws and a wire. I was told that movement will never be the same, but will cope with what we have. I am too soon out of surgery to be making any assumptions, but am very scared I will not be able to return to my regular life (snowboarding, skateboarding, biking, etc.) Like I said, we will cope to the new mobility in the neck, but will it be as strong or am I more susceptible to paralysis? Thanks guys and good luck!
  • Hi - I am new to the board. Was doing some research on my neck problem and found this website. I have a very large osteophyte growth from C2 to C1, and it is pressing on a nerve.... I am in pain 24/7. So far, the surgeons I have gone to will not operate because it would put me at risk. I really need to find someone to do this surgery - I can't live like this. I can barely turn my head to the left or right. And also get constant headaches. I am going to Rush to see a surgeon in a few weeks. Is there anyone out there that has had anything similar? If so, did you find someone comfortable enough to operate? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :-)