Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

replacement disc surgery?any advice, had l5 s1 discetomy last year,life restricted and in pain

tigerlillyttigerlilly Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Replacement disc surgery, Hi new to hear, 33 year old female
HAD L5 S1 last year, had 3 relapses in last year , were i had to be housebound. HAve appointment with my surgeon, been told i ahve degeneartive disc disease on that disc. My life is restricted, living on knives edge in fear of it going again completely.I was fir and active, loved dancing running, skiing, gardening, basically loved life and activity. now , although im gratful for walking again, the rreoccuring episodes of pain, having to rest for weeks, etc is getting me down emotionally. Was wandering about disc replacement as a cure for recurring bouts of pain and having to live like a very old person , which is depressing me, affecting my work, my relationships everything. Fed up with being told just to accept it!!can anyone help. aslo would like to have a baby, but with this back , how can that be ok?

• Sorry to hear about the pain you are in. I, too, was in terrible pain for the last 9 months, could hardly walk, was bent over to the side like I was 95 years old. Could only be on my feet for short periods of time. Working with my Neurosurgeon, we tried various medications, injections, physical therapy but nothing helped. I am 59 and was very active before my back pain changed my life. After taking xrays and having an MRI my neurosurgeon along with an orthopedic surgeon said disc replacement on L5 disc would be the best option for me. Spinal fusion was also an option but with much more invasive and with a longer recovery period so he said the disc replacement would be better for me and I was a good candidate for it as I was in very good health otherwise. I live in Mexico and this is done here much more than the US as I see from all the postings. I am 3 weeks post op and feeling really good. I do physical therapy and walk in the pool for about 15 minutes every day. I am learning to stand up straight and am taking Voltarin Plus and Neurontin only. I really recommend this if your doctor thinks this would be a good option for you. I wish you the best!
  • I had 1 small surgery 18 years ago after a car accident, now I am waiting to the Pro-DISC artificial disc replacement in three levels L3-S1. I know what you mean about living so restricted when we are so young, it sucks. I decided to have a baby and see how it went. I started PT at 5 months pregnant, and it's been hard, but I've been getting steroid shots and taken oral steroids and lots of ice. The joy I have from having my baby is so worth the pain. I know in the long run I will have the ADR surgery, I am contemplating having 1 more baby before I have the big surgery, but not sure my back would handle it. I try to do as many Kegel exercises and work with physical therapist, pilates, walking, and massage. I've honestly tried everything out there and at this point I'm probably going to France and paying for the surgery myself. Good luck.