Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test


sacramentassacramenta Posts: 16
Alright...the doctor left a message on my machine with my diagnosis because I wasn't home. He said that I have a herniated disk that is pressing on the nerve. He said if I am not having a great deal of pain then I can see if it heals itself. If I am then he will send me to a neurosurgeon. I have to call them tomorrow. Why a neurosurgeon? I am not going to have surgery. Why not just an orthopedic doctor or someone who can manage me without surgery?


  • If you do want to see an orthopedic doctor, be sure you choose one who is an orthopedic spinal specialist. You do not want to go to an orthopedic doc who replaces joints, sets bones, etc. You want a doctor whose practice is devoted to issues of the spine and back. It can be an orthopedic spinal surgeon or a neurosurgeon. They have similar training and both specialties can deal effectively with your issues.

    These specialists will try conservative methods of treatment. No one anymore immediately suggests surgery except for a couple rare situations. Most back surgeries are considered elective and the patient usually has quite awhile to make a decision about having the surgery.

    In any case, you probably should let your doc refer you to a specialist. When you have a disk problem, it is a good idea to have a relationship with a specialist just in case you do have an emergency and need to have surgery. You don't want to have to go to the hospital and take anyone who is on call that day!!
  • Hi there

    I was sent to a neurosurgeon first. From there I went to PT and Pain Management for cortisone injections. It wasn't until all other treatment had failed and surgery was the only thing left that we talked about surgery.

    If the n/s brings up surgery, you can decide to wait. They cannot force you into it. Most insurances will allow and encourage a second opinion before any surgical treatment.

    It's really up to you and your doctor (and your insurance) to decide that surgery is the right treatment option. Like it was mentioned before, you should have a relationship with a doctor that you are comfortable with before the "S" word is the only thing that can be done.

    Good luck!
Sign In or Register to comment.