Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what does this mean?

loraollorao Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
hi everone
i have been trying to find it on the net with no luck.
leakage into epidural space grade 5. what does the grade 5 mean?

• Hi there! Welcome Lora

I would call the dr back and ask him to explain this. If he cannot or will not, call your PCP and ask them to help you. A PCP might not be able to read a MRI and they might not fully understand the report but hopefully they can research it, call your dr, or find somebody who will give you more information. I really do not know what it means but I would definitely try to find out what the findings mean for you.
  • I finally found it!
    there are 0-5 grade 0 is a normal disk, 5 being the most severe. I tryed to copy and past the picture but could not.

The ‘evil’ grade 5 tear describes either a grade 3 or grade 4 radial tear that has completely ruptured that outer layers of disc and is 'leaking' contract material from the disc into the epidural space. This type of tear is thought to have the ability to induce a severe inflammatory reaction in 'some' peoples posterior neural structures. In some cases this inflammatory process is so severe is causes a painful 'chemical radiculopathy' and sciatica 'without' even the presents of nerve root compression.
    Thanks for the replys....lora

• You reposted before I was able to send you this link that explains it. :-)

• thank you for the info