Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

posterior foraminotomy C6-C7? It's been five weeks

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have a question for anyone who's had a C6-C7 foraminotomy
I had one five weeks ago. Here's the puzzle. Right after the surgery I kept thinking it felt too low for where my neck pain had been. When they discharged me the papers read that they did a C7-T1 but I didn't ask I thought it was a typo. I went in to get my staples out, the surgeon was on vacation so I asked the nurse for the report from my last visit. It was written up to do C7-T1 too. The surgery was supposed to be C6-C7. I saw the doctor yesterday and he pulled up the surgical report and the two reports I just mentioned. He leaned back in his chair and said we may of done the wrong one. He sent me for an x-ray and an MRI because I have all my original pain plus the new surgical pain. He said come back in six weeks. So here's the question since this has me worried. There's a vertabrae on the back or our neck that kind of sticks out and that's where my incision starts and it goes down from there. It really seems low and is without a doubt too low for where my neck pain has always been. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Six weeks is going to drag by. Thanks to everyone and the best of luck to you all. Paul
PS I uploaded a picture to see what you all think. Thanks

• omg, that's terrible!!! I have no advice for you, just wanted to wish you luck (and maybe find a new surgeon?)
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I just had a C6-C7 laminoforaminotomy but mine was endoscopic and only had a half an inch incision but mine looks like it starts a little above the area you describe. But mine was endoscopic and much smaller. I also had a situation happen. I received my insurance letter stating that i have been accepted for a 3 day stay laminectomy. so I called and asked why that and they said it was corrected. Day of surgery same thing happen they assumed i was staying in hospital 2 days and the records showed same. But then I said no my doc said it si outpatient and it is a foraminotomy so when i saw him prior to surgery he confirmed it and wrote on my neck that i am getting a c6-c7 foraminotomy and they also had me sign what procedure I was getting. You did not get to sign what you are getting prior to your surgery?
  • This is medical malpractice! I would consult a medical attorney. They made a big mistake.
  • Hi,

When you signed the consent form did you look at the consent form to make sure you where getting the right procedure? Also i would get a 2nd opinion from another surgeon for their opinion of what happened to you. I would also in my opinion begin talking to a malpractice attorney. Also when looking for an attorney interview a few and ask how they can help you, also get an attorney who/and if will take your case will only get paid if you win your case. Also I am just curious what state do you live in, because malpractice various from state to state of what type of money you can receive. Good luck with everything.
  • Yes that is the puzzling part because i had to sign the forms before they put me under and before I saw the surgeon. Eventhough on the system mine said a different procedure the actual form i signed stated what i was getting so I was fine once I saw that and signed it.
    What were you presented with prior to surgery?
    Are you in the US? or outside?
  • First thanks to everyone for taking time to comment. The Surgeon is top notch but admits he may of made a mistake and said if he did he is obligated to inform me. I've been sent for more tests. I don't remember signing a surgical release. There were a lot of things to sign that morning and I was nervous but I'm normally very good at reading everything before I sign. They asked me if I knew why I was in there and I told them for a foraminotomy. I think the fact that I was able to pronounce it was good enough for them. I live in Michigan and I know malpractice is hard to prove here. I had one brief conversation with a malpractice attorney, she told me to request all records for the surgery and I have. Something I'm sure you all understand is #1 on my list is to get out of as much pain as possible. I have no interset in sueing at this time. It's all about health. I'm not ruling it out but he still seems willing to treat me. I do trust him, but I will consult another doctor prior to any more surgeries. Thanks again to all of you for good wishes. The best of luck to you all and thanks. Paul
  • Neck pain is very dangerous and hurtful pain, In neck pain mostly cervical damage and due to this reason patient have neck pain or neck injury.we must take good care of our self specially neck side in cervical or neck injury we don't take heavy foods. Thanks.
    Topamax Attorney