Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Psoas muscle release,done by chiropractor?

sagehenssagehen Posts: 221
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Alternative Treatments
Anybody have any experience with a chiro doing a procedure that will release the psoas muscle? After the 2 lumbar fusions I've had I still have pain from hip to hip and BAD
spasms.I was doing some reading about the psoas muscle.How it can affect so many different muscles and even nerves. I am getting desperate.I used to see a chiropractor,when I drove a large haul truck at a surface mine,I did get relief
from the adjustments.But when I went to him a couple years ago for my lumbar issues,whatever he did actually made me worse.I don't think I would see a chiro for any spinal manipulation procedures,but maybe for this muscle release one. Just wondering if anyone has had this done? Thanks

• Hello Sagehen
    I used to see a Chiropractor regularly from 2000 to 2007 following a Microdisectomy. During that time I was very active and running long distance and road cycling My psoas regularly gave me problems and the Chiro or my massage therapist was able to release them. I think you may need to look at why yours needs to be released. I had real back problems that caused mine and had to have two major surgeries in the last year. The problems I had were not problems that any Chiro could fix. Hope yours is OK and not causing you the problem.
    Brian McCarthy
    London UK
    Three level hybrid, Revision fusion and SIJ fusion
  • hello,
    i have back issues in my L4 - S1 and my muscles are a complete mess. when i started seeing a massage therapist about 3 months ago, she did a psosa release...as uncomfortable that was, i felt so much better, that's now a routine part of my treatments. i then started seeing a chrio about a month and a half ago and his release technique was different and brought me to tears right there on the table. needless to say, he doesn't do that anymore, but he does help with other muscle tension through my hips. i wish you well with it.
  • I started having muscle spasms and back pain after exercise.It seems that I am caught in a cycle of poor posture {leaning forward}.The state of my posture is causing all my back muscles to contract improperly.The muscle spasms cause more back pain.I was in manageable discomfort until my journey took me in the direction of physical therapy,MRI,EMG and the first "back shot".The MRI is unremarkable,but the Emg shows S1 nerve root compression.Today I am not considering another invasive procedure.After researching the psoas muscle it seems all my symptyoms point to inflamed muscles caught in a downward cycle that need rest and knowledge-instead of being bombarded with injections and trauma.I am in a weakened state and would appreciate comments from anyone who has knowledge of this all to common condition.
  • As far as your psoas muscle and chiropractic goes, I would recommend a chiropractor that specializes in Active Release Technique(ART.) It is not the audible adjusting most people think when they hear the word chiropractic.

Massage could also be a great option, but I know ART handles it much differently.

Another reasonable idea to effect the psoas could be seeing a ROLFer.

• The iliopsoas muscle
    April 17, 2012

In the Fall of 2010 I began to experience some deep pain in my lower back. in early 2011 after experiencing extreme lower back pain in a centralized location and my GP diagnosing me with Sciatica back in Spring 2010 (I don't think I have sciatica at all actually), I went to a neurologist who in 10 minutes sat me on a table, looked into my eyes with a light and used the Flintstones hammer on my knee caps, decided my diagnosis was a "Clinical and Chronic Muscle Spasm" in my lower back. He gave me a piece of paper to strengthen my core and a $300 bill.

My next stop was an acupuncturist (I've had acupuncture for over 20 years, I prefer it over Western Medicine most of the time). I started seeing her every 2 weeks and currently in Spring 2012, I only see her once every 2 months, mostly for other things.
    In the summer of 2011 I added massage therapy every month, and then in the Fall of 2011 I added a Chiropractor who practices in my acupuncturists Wellness Center.

The acupuncture when done to resolve my back pain, hurts like hell, subsides when I relax and always relieves the spasm for about 2 weeks.

The Chiropractor is a bit tricky....it doesn't really "relieve" the pain right away, but, I know that combined with the other treatments it's a process that is helping to realign my spine and hip (I ripped my hip ligament back in 1993 during a dance stretch injury and have since had plenty of falls snowboarding). I feel "pretty good" after Chiro session. My Chiropractor did not agree with me to get an MRI because he was sure I did not need one. He is right...however it was my Masseuse that called the problem "The iliopsoas" she said. I said "WHAT?" "What is THAT?"....she explained as best as possible and began treating the psoas on most of my visits, which has been every 3 weeks now for months (I bought multiple groups to lower the price). Miraculously, with each session where she did myofascial release massage and focused on my psoas, it seemed to actually be getting better. My muscle spasm originating from the psoas has been so insipid and on too many occasions a wrong move flattened me out or had me walking hunched over in pain. Once something happened and my whole left side from my lower back to my neck was in such great pain I was crying...When I went to my Masseuse, I could feel the muscle in my upper back/neck fluttering (spasming) while she worked it out. That session did the trick and I was back to the normal tolerable pain the psoas gave me. She and I agreed neither of us had ever experienced that before.

I shared with with my acupuncturist who knew little of what the psoas was and the Chiropractor who agreed it was (could be) the source...(though I was surprised he had not thought of that).

I will continue treatment until I am SURE it is gone, but it is now over a week since i saw my Masseuse and she performed another fairly painful (but in a good way) massage focusing on my psoas and I am PAIN FREE! PAIN FREE!! I could cry just writing it. I never thought I'd be rid of that pain. The test will be for me to return to exercising. if it stays away, it will be a miracle...

To be continued....
    "Facts do not Cease to Exist Because They Are Ignored"
    Aldous Huxley