Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Medications
I live in Mandeville, Louisiana. I have a bulging disc and cervical cancer. I have been going to a pain management doctor who prescribed Norco 10/325 mgs a day. I ran out a couple of months ago 2 days early and I was in so much pain my husband took me to the ER. Doctor in ER said that due to cancer he could give me enough meds to get through to my appointment - only a couple of days of meds. When I went to see my PM doctor he said that I broke the contract and couldn't be seen by him anymore. I went to another PM doctor who said that he couldn't do anything, didn't prescribe medicine. I have no where to go and I have been reading that I will go through severe withdrawals, which are beginning considering I was suppose to have my medicine yesterday. I don't know where to go or what to do. I am very scared of the pain and the withdrawals that will cause additional pain. Any advice? I feel like I am being treated like a common criminal for seeking relief of my pain??

• Unfortunately, most PM's have a contract that each patient must sign that says that you won't take more than you are prescribed ( adjust your dosage on your own) or get meds from any other source, including an ER's dentists, other doctors without their permission. If you do either of those things, or fail a urine screen, then you are kicked out of their practice.
    Unfortunately, you did both. You may not have gotten into trouble had you called your doctor and told him that you were in more pain and asked him what you should do before taking more medication or before filling that prescription from the ER doctor.
    Please don't take my comments as criticizing you, but we all have to follow the rules as far as our pain management goes, or we risk being in the same situation.
    Because of state and federal laws regarding opiate pain medications, we are "guilty" until proven innocent.
    You can get some over the counter medications to help with the diarrehea and stomach cramps, and some gatorade to help in case you start vomiting or getting nauseated, but other than that, you are going to have to ride this out. The good news is that you will be through this in about 5 days, the worst of it being days 2 and 3 as I am told.
    It may not be that bad, I don't know how long you were on the medication or how much you were taking each day.
    Best of luck to you,